Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark Plugs in older 5.4L motors ('05 SCrew)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 PM
2013 4X4 SuperCrew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Spark Plugs in older 5.4L motors ('05 SCrew)

I'm glad I got on here before I went any further trying to replace my spark plugs. First, thanks to all of the contributors for the recommendations and ideas.

I bought replacement plugs at our local Farm & Fleet store: Bosch Platinum Plus # 4005; will these work, they don't look anything like the plug drawings in this thread.

My next question is what size plug wrench are you guys using to "attempt" :-) removal of the plugs? I took the coil pack off and tried a 5/8" plug socket and it just spins and doesn't bite against anything; is it too short or the wrong size? The Bosch plus are 5/8". Also, I didn't even see Bosch mentioned in the lists of different brand plugs that would work.

I know it was mentioned to wait until 100K miles, I had a coil pack start misfiring so I figured since I had to be in there, I'd change the plugs now....85K right now.

Would I be better off spraying the Ford Carb cleaner down around the base and drive it for a few days or do that once I run the seafoam through the engine for a couple of weeks?

I look forward to any helpful suggestions; thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seafoam the engine to break up the carbon around the plugs. Pull all of the coil packs out and spray penetrating oil into the plug holes for about 10 seconds each. Let the truck sit for a bit. A few hours is normally good. The factory plugs are 9/16".

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs in older 5.4L motors ('05 SCrew)