Spark Plugs Changed! - Page 3 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Spark Plugs Changed!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #21
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 80
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronFordFan View Post
Hey, thanks for the pictures, dude. BTW...how many miles did you have on your rig when you did this?...also, notice an improvement?

EDIT: O.K., I see you had 105k. They certainly looked like it was time, but no too bad, really.
Once i did the plugs (no FPDM or VCT's yet) the throttle response and overall driving experience was like night and day. Just new plugs and boots made the truck feel brand new. I will take the truck out tomorrow to see if the VCT's and FPDM made any difference. If you have not done plugs yet.......do it! Its worth it!
04-FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm also planning in changing my plugs, I've watched a ton of videos and read a million threads, but still can't get myself to do it lol
hitstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,425
Thanks: 0
Thanked 99 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Lisle tool isn't necessary but if one breaks you will pray to hell that you spent the time and effort to order it. And air tools will make it exponentially easier. It's like anything else, having the proper tools makes a job much easier with better results.
Tradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
masitile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of Boston Ma.
Posts: 4,208
Thanked 509 Times in 419 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04-FX4 View Post

Once i did the plugs (no FPDM or VCT's yet) the throttle response and overall driving experience was like night and day. Just new plugs and boots made the truck feel brand new. I will take the truck out tomorrow to see if the VCT's and FPDM made any difference. If you have not done plugs yet.......do it! Its worth it!
If your truck was noisy before - you'll be very happy at how much quieter it will be with the new solenoids.
People don't believe it can make such a difference, plus it's so easy to change them out. Enjoy your new engine!
masitile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 80
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Aside from new plugs/boots, fpdm, VCT's, cleaned MAF and TB, and new fuel filter is there any other small 100K mile maintenance issues to attend to? I am hoping to stop putting money in to the mechanical side and start putting towards cosmetics and suspesnsion!

Just added some HD style headlights (not pictured). Planning on adding Rancho 9000xl shocks, n-fab light bumper and steps, 2012 red/black fx4 emblems, Saleen grille, and maybe some wheels!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Spark Plugs Changed!-tr.jpg  
04-FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for posting this up! I'm trying to get up the courage to do this. I will definitely use some sea foam first though.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
Sheep Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,889
Thanked 234 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04-FX4 View Post
Aside from new plugs/boots, fpdm, VCT's, cleaned MAF and TB, and new fuel filter is there any other small 100K mile maintenance issues to attend to? I am hoping to stop putting money in to the mechanical side and start putting towards cosmetics and suspesnsion!

Just added some HD style headlights (not pictured). Planning on adding Rancho 9000xl shocks, n-fab light bumper and steps, 2012 red/black fx4 emblems, Saleen grille, and maybe some wheels!!!
I'd change all the fluids- coolant, transmission, transfer case, and both differentials, as well as power steering. Put synthetics in everything that can take them.
VTX1800N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
Sheep Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,889
Thanked 234 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masitile View Post
If your truck was noisy before - you'll be very happy at how much quieter it will be with the new solenoids.
People don't believe it can make such a difference, plus it's so easy to change them out. Enjoy your new engine!
New solenoids quieted mine down quite a bit. I still have a bit of a diesel quality sound to the idle. I'll be switching to Mobile 1 5w-30 on my next oil change and we will see how she sounds then.
VTX1800N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #29
poopin.....on this thread
 
rubbinsracin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,008
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Not to butt in but would an electric impact work the same as an air impact?
rubbinsracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #30
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Especial86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,693
Thanked 336 Times in 290 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbinsracin View Post
Not to butt in but would an electric impact work the same as an air impact?
Yes, with a wobble extension you can get them done... The question is does your impact have enough torque to break them free... If it doesn't then just crack them loose by hand and soak em with a good penetrant lube. Then spin them out with the impact...
I just did the plugs on my fathers 3v and my Ridged X4 Impact spun them right out without a single break... I used small burps of the trigger, a wobble extension and kroil..
Especial86 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gremlins pltnsgt06 General F150 Discussion 4 09-08-2015 09:12 PM
2000 5.4 leaking oil at crossover/Im Matthewb 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 0 09-05-2015 06:50 PM
Did a Tune Up WOW! LEBScrew13 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 18 09-04-2015 05:56 PM
2006 Lariat First Post TXFE82 Introductions 3 09-04-2015 04:38 PM
2000 f150 4.6 v8 wdrdoctor Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation 10 09-04-2015 01:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com