Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

spark plugs

Old 03-30-2014, 11:29 PM
Your Boy Blue

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default spark plugs

I by no means want to do this, but it needs done. My truck is misfiring. I assume its my plugs. Idk if they have ever been changed. I have 131xxx miles and 5.4. Is there a tool to get these off? I do not want to snap them! Also, what plugs should I get? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard of a tool to get them out without snapping them off, though I can't remember what the damn thing is called or even the brand. I would say google would be your friend on that one haha. But as far as the plugs go I would stick with Motorcraft. Thats what I have always ran! Good luck!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Your Boy Blue

Originally Posted by 02f150KJS
I have heard of a tool to get them out without snapping them off, though I can't remember what the damn thing is called or even the brand. I would say google would be your friend on that one haha. But as far as the plugs go I would stick with Motorcraft. Thats what I have always ran! Good luck!
Im gonna go in saturday and talk to the guys at auto zone or where ever. I see motorcraft thrown around a lot. I think thats what ill stick with unless I hear otherwise! Hopefully AZ will know the tool!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

It's called the Lisle Tool
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JHan90F150
Im gonna go in saturday and talk to the guys at auto zone or where ever. I see motorcraft thrown around a lot. I think thats what ill stick with unless I hear otherwise! Hopefully AZ will know the tool!
AZ you say? As in Arizona? I live in tucson, if you're close I wouldn't mind lending a hand. I just did mine 2 weeks ago. I found the lisle plug removal tool at O'rielly for right around $100. And the plugs came out to just over $100 with tax. Sp515 is the plug you want, they're like $12 each. I took me 4 hours taking my sweet time. I used pb blaster and let the plugs soak after a 1/8-1/4 turn for about 20 minutes. There are several tutorials around the forum. Oh wait...I just realized you meant Auto Zone.
Edit: I forgot to mention I used a ratchet with some wobble extensions. I also removed the computer and it's bracket. #4 was a little tough but I only broke #5. Then I crossthreaded #8 and had to take it to the dealer to have them re thread it.

Last edited by johnny_tucson; 03-31-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

If you need the Lisle spark plug tool, take a look at Ebay. You can get a used one for about $60.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:06 AM

impact will be your friend.. get it to temp.. take them out with impact..

lisle tool is great, it worked for the one that snapped in mine.. have fun with the ones in the back.. lol we are still messing with them.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Rock auto for the plugs.. Or adap with coupon codes should cost around $60..

Slip the rubber boot from inside one of your other plug sockets into the deep well 9/16 plug socket you need to pull these plugs.. Or have some 3/8 hose on hand to install and remove the plugs..

Have the lisle tool on hand for good measure ($65 on amazon). Plus a can of kroil or liquid wrench if they start snapping..

Def use a 3/8 impact. Cordless will work great.. Multiple wobble extensions are necessary, and maybe a u joint extension on cylinder 8.....

Remove the computer after the battery is disconnected.. Burp them out with the impact slowly on a hot motor to break the seal of the plugs in the head.. Then a light zip to finish "tourqing" them out..

Install by hand with plenty of NICKLE anti seize on the shank of the plug body....

A Hot motor, and a 3/8 impact are 2 definite answers to a successful plug extraction.... Don't forget to dielectric grease your cop boots too!...

If all goes well, you should be done in just under an hour. Just make sure you have set aside enough time deal with broken plugs should this job turn miserable in a hurry..
Old 03-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Your Boy Blue

Originally Posted by Especial86
Rock auto for the plugs.. Or adap with coupon codes should cost around $60..

Slip the rubber boot from inside one of your other plug sockets into the deep well 9/16 plug socket you need to pull these plugs.. Or have some 3/8 hose on hand to install and remove the plugs..

Have the lisle tool on hand for good measure ($65 on amazon). Plus a can of kroil or liquid wrench if they start snapping..

Def use a 3/8 impact. Cordless will work great.. Multiple wobble extensions are necessary, and maybe a u joint extension on cylinder 8.....

Remove the computer after the battery is disconnected.. Burp them out with the impact slowly on a hot motor to break the seal of the plugs in the head.. Then a light zip to finish "tourqing" them out..

Install by hand with plenty of NICKLE anti seize on the shank of the plug body....

A Hot motor, and a 3/8 impact are 2 definite answers to a successful plug extraction.... Don't forget to dielectric grease your cop boots too!...

If all goes well, you should be done in just under an hour. Just make sure you have set aside enough time deal with broken plugs should this job turn miserable in a hurry..
I hope its not that tidious. Haha I changed 4.6 in about 4 hours. This doesn't sound hopeful.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 PM

these are a PITA cause the 5.4 have 2 piece plugs and they are known for breaking. to the point they made a tool (the lisele(sp) just for this motor and plugs!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spark plugs