Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark plug and other maintainance

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spark plug and other maintainance

I am educating myself on doing normal maintainance on my 2005 F150 5.4 truck. Truck has 72,000 miles on it. I am now keenly aware of the spark plug removal procedure and still believe I can move forward with the weekend task.

Since I am going to be going to the trouble of doing spark plugs, would you recommend I also replace the spark plug coils or other ignition components?

What other general stuff should I take care of now "before" it becomes a problem? (besides oil change, fuel filter, air filter, transmission flush)

Thanks for any advice? Seriously, gearing up for a full weekend in the heated garage during a cold early January spell
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

with only 72K miles on it...i would leave the COP's for later...very easy to replace those unless they are causing mis-fires...you may want to change the rear diff oil also. Not sure if you just bought this truck...there are other maint. items you may want to look at also like...brake fluid/cooling system and power steering. good luck
Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 PM

How difficult is it to change the brake fluid and power steering fluids? I have owned this truck since it had 2 miles on, so want to make sure it continues to run as smoothly as possible.

For spark plugs, I am nervous about the 2 plugs at the back of the engine but am hopeful they are not problem childen. btw, I assume at 72,000 the plugs should be coming out.

q: should I move away from the 2 part Motorcraft plug and put in a 1-piece champion plug to remove the issue next time around?

Thoughts?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes the plugs should come out at 72k. Stick with the Motorcraft plugs with antiseize. Once the factory ones are out there's very little chance of issues in the future. Brake fluid, just do like any other vehicle crack each bleeder starting with the furthest and work around keeping the reservoir full. The turkey baster will work for the power steering fluid. Suck all the old out and refill with new, turn the wheel a few times and repeat.
Also clean the throttle body and MAF.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop your spare and check the FPDM if you haven't already...I'll be doing the same.

Last edited by 08Crew4x4; 12-04-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mn_f150
...q: should I move away from the 2 part Motorcraft plug and put in a 1-piece champion plug to remove the issue next time around?

Thoughts?
I went with the 1-piece Champion plugs so that I never had to worry about the issue again. In all reality, unless you plan to have your truck a VERY LONG TIME, and are going to put roughly 100k miles on the new plugs, then it should be a non-issue which plugs you use, as long as they last as long as they're supposed to.

Good luck with the change. I've heard of people having no troubles (me) and others having 5-7 plugs break on them.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the information.

Probably dump follow up question: What is the FPDM, as reference above?

Thanks again.

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by mn_f150
Thanks for the information.

Probably dump follow up question: What is the FPDM, as reference above?

Thanks again.
FPDM fuel pump drive modual located on a cross member above spare tire the are very prone to corrosion and if it looks realy nasty might be wise to change it the new replacement will come with mounting spacers to reduce future corrosion. It may outlast the truck but if it fails your dead in the water.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubbabud
FPDM fuel pump drive modual located on a cross member above spare tire the are very prone to corrosion and if it looks realy nasty might be wise to change it the new replacement will come with mounting spacers to reduce future corrosion. It may outlast the truck but if it fails your dead in the water.
I wonder if spraying the new module with undercoating before installing it (with spacers) would ensure it's extended life over the oem one?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mean to discourage you but i had 60 k on mine and broke 6. Make sure you have the lisle tool. You can remove the batter and computer for extra space. It really makes a difference. Also have a very long set of needle nose pliers. I stem of the spark plug broke in two of mine long needle nose will pull them out. Also like 08 said check fdpm. The new one comes with rubber spacers.

Quick Reply: Spark plug and other maintainance