Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark plug change- What's the big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug change- What's the big deal?

Well, I did it- I changed the plugs on my '05 with 138,000 miles on them. Went without a hitch.

I kept putting it off (I was scared of it) but I found someone with a broken plug removal tool so I gave it a shot.

Since anticipating this project for a LONG time, I've run Seafoam religiously every tank for the past 6 months. If there's any doubters of the wonders of Seafoam, look at these pictures. There is hardly a trace of carbon on these plugs.

I used the 3/8 impact gun method, and they all just zipped right out. I think by looking at the lack of carbon that any method would have worked, there was nothing for the ends of the plugs to stick to.

-Greg
Old 10-11-2014, 10:39 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Nice job! I to am a 113K plug changer with none breaking. Used seafoam in the tank but only for 200 miles, then pulled them on a warm engine. Had the Lisle on hand and didn't need it .
Old 10-12-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine went the same none broken 04 with 77000 at the time. only thing I can think of that may have made mine easy was the truck has mostly highway miles.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Same here.. 04 with 140k + and zero broken plugs..

I used the 3/8 impact 3 seperate times now on 2 3v motors and have yet to use my lisle broken plug remover tool.
My last plug change took about 30 min (but I also had that pesky intake manifold removed for a supercharger install at the time).

A warm motor is certainly key, but the real secret to success is the 3/8 impact.. The direct load over the center of the plug is critical. Seafoam does help, and so does techron, but the big secret is the impact, and wobble extensions (when necessary) to keep that load directed down the center of the plug..

Socket wrench extraction is just a bad idea all together on high thread spark plugs.. The slightest angle applied to the plug will cause the whole plug body itself to bind, and then break at it's weakest link.. (This is my theory)...

The crack em and soak em prior to removal theory is also bad news IMHO..

Always install plugs by hand, and always anti-seize the plugs electrode shield shank..

Last edited by Especial86; 10-12-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used seafoam fuel injection cleaner even did the partial turn with carb cleaner and penetrating oil on mine. I still broke off 7 of 8 using the impact. Personally I think it's just a matter of previous maintenance. The guy I bought the truck off of was not a believer in it lol.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Newfiedan
I used seafoam fuel injection cleaner even did the partial turn with carb cleaner and penetrating oil on mine. I still broke off 7 of 8 using the impact. Personally I think it's just a matter of previous maintenance. The guy I bought the truck off of was not a believer in it lol.
I wonder if the initial partial turn did you in...if there is carbon around the end of the plug, the idea of the impact is to hit it quick to break the plug loose from the carbon. Giving it a initial turn might have broke the plug before you even touched it with the impact. Just a thought...(believe me, there is nothing scientific about my theories!!!)

Good luck to all who attempt the dreaded plug change, may you be as fortunate as I was. I have the feeling that when I go to work on Monday and tell them how well it went, I'll be asked to assist on a couple more trucks.

-Greg

Quick Reply: Spark plug change- What's the big deal?