Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark plug change. NO BIG DEAL

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug change. NO BIG DEAL

This is my first post so don't be to hard on me.
I have a 04 F150 5.4 4x4 85,000 and time for spark plug change. I read all the stuff I could get my hands on. I work airplanes and thought how hard can it be. Well this is what I did and it worked very well for me.

Tools first off go to Napa auto and buy the right socket 6 point 9/16 tool number KD3931 made only for Ford F150.

Prep work started a week prior to the change. I took one by one the coils off the plugs. This helped me to get the feel for what I was going to get myself into. I disconnected the wire connector from the coil set it out of the way. Removed the 8mm bolt and raised up the coil and sprayed PENETRATING FLUID IN THE SPARK PLUG WELL. I used PB Blaster and you can get it most auto stores. I then put it all back together and drove it for a week with No problems.

Next weekend I got home from work open the hood to let the engine cool. About one hour later I removed all the coils and marked them 1 thru 8 I wanted them back in the same hole. Next more spray in each so the base of the plug was covered. Use your new plug socket and give them all about a half a turn. Mine got tight and I started to sweat! I then turned them in about 1/4 turn and the plug got loose so I did this for all 8 plugs.

It was now dinner time so about two hours later I think the longer the better. I now removed all 8 plugs with not one problem and it was very easy to do this. The back right side plug is very tight space to work in but just take your time it will work.

The install also went well use a small piece of rubber hose about 8 inches long. Put on the top of the plug to help turn it in. I put a very small amount of anti-seize on the threads this will help for next time. On the side of the box that the plugs came in is the torque. So use a torque wrench and you are almost done.

Next install the coils back to the place you removed them from and you are now finished. The total time was about 3 hours. This was 10,000 miles back and my truck still runs great. I hope this helps you all. It worked well for me and I will use this again on three more trucks. GOD BLESS
The following users liked this post:
wowsley (08-13-2012)
Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good post, my only comment is that the Ford TSB says to use nickel anti-seize and only put it on the sides of the electrode, not the threads. I'd be curious if these plugs came out as easy as the originals. Did you use Motorcraft plugs or aftermarket? Good to hear you didn't have any broken ones!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Well I have spent 33 years in the Air Force working air planes and used anti- seize on the threads with never a problem. But you have to do what best works for you. Yes I use only Ford OEM parts NO after market.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 PM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snuffy944
Well I have spent 33 years in the Air Force working air planes and used anti- seize on the threads with never a problem. But you have to do what best works for you. Yes I use only Ford OEM parts NO after market.

Good to hear they came out easy. Putting the anti-seize on the threads will not hurt but it's not going to help either, The threads are not the problem, it's the insulator/electrode.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '04 has 86,000 miles, and i am trying to work up the courage to tackle the plugs. How much pb blaster did you spray in when you drove for a week?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE!!! Another great story. I have 78000 miles, and am changing my plugs this sunday. Not doing what you did. I plan to spray my plugs the night before, and just let them sit over night. Hey, I have the LISLE if needed, but if I dont use it, I will sell it, just to get some of my money back. But from what Ive read, turing them till they tighten, then backing off, helped a lot. Nice work though. I am determined not to break ANY!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by cole_ford
NICE!!! Another great story. I have 78000 miles, and am changing my plugs this sunday. Not doing what you did. I plan to spray my plugs the night before, and just let them sit over night. Hey, I have the LISLE if needed, but if I dont use it, I will sell it, just to get some of my money back. But from what Ive read, turing them till they tighten, then backing off, helped a lot. Nice work though. I am determined not to break ANY!!!

hit me up after this weekend i may buy your tool
Old 09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Born On a Mountain Top...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lablmakr71
My '04 has 86,000 miles, and i am trying to work up the courage to tackle the plugs. How much pb blaster did you spray in when you drove for a week?
almost to the shoulder of the plug. i recently did the same with no problems except breaking two 0 rings on the fuel line connections. 40 cent repair. just make sure to tighten after the first loosening crank. and even if u have the tool it may be tricky to get the insulator outta the way on the very back plugs.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by lablmakr71

Not much just a few squirts.

Quick Reply: Spark plug change. NO BIG DEAL