Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Soon, the e-fan install

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Soon, the e-fan install

My DC Controller (finally arrived), and I have my MARK VIII fan installed into a fan shroud (I bought a second shroud in case I ever want to go back to using a stock clutch fan arrangement).

Here's a pic of what the MARK VIII looks like installed into the factory shroud:

Again, I'm not expecting any "seat of the pants HP or TQ", nor do I expect any significant MPG increases. With my SCANGUAGE II, I will carefully monitor the MPG after this install and post any honest significant gains. Prior to this e-fan install, I've been tracking my MPG with the SCANGUAGE for over a year now; plenty of city and cross country driving to use as an average before this e-fan install (4 round trips to/from Florida and Texas).
If there's MPG to be seen, I'll be able to prove or disprove it.
As to my current engine and transmission temps, I have an aftermarket cooler installed in series with the stock radiator core transmission cooler. My "AFRICA hot" days of Florida and Texas summers have shown transmission temps on the SCANGUAGE II to average 170 to 174 degrees at cruise speeds. At prolonged idle, I've seen these temps hit 180, but it quickly drops back down once at speed.
This too will be observed once the e-fan is installed to see if I gain any cooler temps.

What do I expect to gain from this e-fan install? Less wear potential on the water pump, quicker engine warmup (e-fan controller I bought has a temp probe that installs in the radiator fins: e-fan will not operate unless radiator temp gets above 180 degrees), and maybe, maybe slight increase of gas mileage.
I will have under $200.00 invested in this, and am doing the conversion purely out of couriosity. The $200.00 that burned a hole in my pocket would have bought a bunch of gas, so it's not that I expect to get a return on this investment. Also, because I have the 4.2 V6, I'm not going to see any gains in power either, even though I am removing drag (removing the clutch fan).

I'll keep anyone informed of the results, once I have a few tanks of gas run through

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 06-11-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for doing the research for us all. I have the 4.2 v6 as well. That's a bummer you don't gain any power. I don't really have a need to do this now. I thought by switching to an efan you'd at least pick up some seat of the pants hp.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

I am in no way an expert in this field of e-fan verses clutch fans. In some of the many topics I've been reading on Google searches, I've descovered many opinions and theories. One question I've had (with no real answer yet) is why all the auto manufacturers do not switch to e-fans. If they could provide a mile or two per gallon of gas, I'd assume they'd want to do this; looks good for their "fleet" averages. On the flip side, other articles have mentioned that clutch setups are cheaper then e-fans, so vehicle manufacturers save money I suppose by going this route when building trucks on the assembly line.

Clutch setups are less complicated, less wiring (although the 5.4's use an electric clutch). Since both an e-fan and clutch type fan become non issues when the vehicle is at speed, both are equal in that aspect.

An e-fan places no wear on the water pump, but places an electrical load on the alternator.

So, pros and cons.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Something

Thumbs up cool

That's awsome. An efan install has been one of those things that is always in the back of my mind thinking, well it doesn't cost too much and is easy to do so should I do it sometime? It will be good to have some honest statistics as far as any increases in mpg or anything else. I was thinking about doing this just to decrease the water pump's wear and tear. I really do not want to replace that thing. Any good increases would be cool too but I wouldn't expect much either. It would be cool to have some more room to work as well. The belt driven fan is bulky.

If you don't mind could you give us a pic or 2 of the room that will be opened up after install? How does the efan work as far as drawing power from the battery? I guess an efan wouldn't need too much extra juice to run.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Something

whoa. the 5.4s are electric clutch? I did not know that. I'll have to go poking around down there, that is one part of my truck that I have not wanted to touch much. Really because Ive been lazy.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure to keep an extra pack of fuses in the console. I burnt a 30 amp just yesterday. Quick run to autozone to pick up some 40a and we're rolling again.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

I bought a DC Converter from this site:

http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm

The one I'm using is the two speed unit; It has the temp probe, two relays (low and high speed), and controls the amp draw to battery. In other words, the MARK VIII e-fan I'm using is a two speed fan (used by Ford in tsome of their autos). An excerpt from their site on controllers:

"The Delta controller ramps the voltage up slowly, avoiding locked-rotor current conditions. Moreover, although the Delta controller output devices have a peak current rating in excess of 400A, the controller is internally current limited to 50A short term in order to regulate peak currents and 35A long term in order to protect a shorted or dragging fan. In other words, the peak current specification of the fan doesn't need to be considered when choosing a controller"

I would strongly recommend the use of a controller in a e-fan conversion arrangement. Read the FAQ section of the above link. The manufacturer of this controller builds these for single and two speed e-fan conversions; he's well known in the Mustang world.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 06-11-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

...so, is it "soon" yet? (intalled)
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 AM
All Wooded Out

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump because you are a jerk tease and never posted a response! You hae a high post count so I am hoping you see this though. Found it on google
Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by PirateKing
Bump because you are a jerk tease and never posted a response! You hae a high post count so I am hoping you see this though. Found it on google
Jerk tease? Continue searching this forum, as I started a new thread (this one got old and buried.....

The install is done. As mentioned in another (read newer) post, I saw no real gains in HP/TQ or MPH gains. I did experience better A/C performance though.

Perhaps the 5.4 would see better(?) gains in MPG. I have a 4.2 V6.

Quick Reply: Soon, the e-fan install