Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Sometimes the heater blows hot and other times it blows warm/cool (same with AC)

Old 11-10-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sometimes the heater blows hot and other times it blows warm/cool (same with AC)

I'm quite sure the answer is somewhere on the forums, but after an hour of doing various searches alas I wasn't so lucky. I'm hoping this is something that someone has experienced. I have a 2006 F150 Super Crew with a little less than 120k miles. I'm the only owner and outside of maybe 5 times since I've owned it, no one drives it but me. The last few years it sits more in the driveway, and related (or not) I now have a heater/AC issue. As summer was winding down, my A/C started acting up. A/C would come on ice cold as normal...then after 10-15 mins, it would blow warm air. Playing with the controls would trick it to blow ice cold again...if that didn't work I'd shut it off for 5-10 mins and turn it back on to blow ice cold again. This would last for another 10-15 mins and I'd have to repeat the process again.

Now it's fall and here in the northeast, we've had below freezing temps already. If I turn on the heat full blast, it will come on hot, then after 10-15 mins, would cool down. I have to shut it off and restart it again to get it to blow hot. I've also noticed that if I want warm air, it's either blowing out cold (lowest setting) or hot (until after about 10-15 mins it will blow warm on its own). Lastly, I have noticed that the defroster isn't working well and will begin to steam up the windows. Again, if I shut it off and wait 10-15 mins, restarting corrects the problem, but only temporarily.

Hoping someone recognizes the problem and I can get it fixed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-10-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy2pinz
I'm quite sure the answer is somewhere on the forums, but after an hour of doing various searches alas I wasn't so lucky. I'm hoping this is something that someone has experienced. I have a 2006 F150 Super Crew with a little less than 120k miles. I'm the only owner and outside of maybe 5 times since I've owned it, no one drives it but me. The last few years it sits more in the driveway, and related (or not) I now have a heater/AC issue. As summer was winding down, my A/C started acting up. A/C would come on ice cold as normal...then after 10-15 mins, it would blow warm air. Playing with the controls would trick it to blow ice cold again...if that didn't work I'd shut it off for 5-10 mins and turn it back on to blow ice cold again. This would last for another 10-15 mins and I'd have to repeat the process again.

Now it's fall and here in the northeast, we've had below freezing temps already. If I turn on the heat full blast, it will come on hot, then after 10-15 mins, would cool down. I have to shut it off and restart it again to get it to blow hot. I've also noticed that if I want warm air, it's either blowing out cold (lowest setting) or hot (until after about 10-15 mins it will blow warm on its own). Lastly, I have noticed that the defroster isn't working well and will begin to steam up the windows. Again, if I shut it off and wait 10-15 mins, restarting corrects the problem, but only temporarily.

Hoping someone recognizes the problem and I can get it fixed.

Thanks in advance!
When the defrost steams up the window do you smell any traces of antifreeze. If so then it may be your heater core. My 99 heater core was a royal pain to get to so not sure about the 04 and up. As far as the ac acting up, it may be related but Im not sure, its just that the steaming window makes me wonder. Sorry I could'nt be of better help
Old 11-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Default heater treater

Ford has had some issues with the blend door actuator. Check out this website for more info. https://heatertreater.net/
Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 PM

Thank you TommyJ and kuglerjr. I was out of the country traveling for work and just now catching up with emails. @TommyJ, no I don't have an smell when the defrost steams up. No worries, at least I can rule this out. Thanks. @kuglerjr, thanks for the pointer. I have seen some similar things when I initially tried to search the forums before posting...maybe that's the issue.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Blend door issues. If it was a heater core, it wouldn't affect your AC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sometimes the heater blows hot and other times it blows warm/cool (same with AC)