Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

so tell me more about the rearend shudder problem with the 9.75" rearends

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so tell me more about the rearend shudder problem with the 9.75" rearends

well at least I'm pretty sure the size is 9.75"??

06 lariat 5.4l 4x4 truck. I got it with 60k on the clock and it had the rearend shudder at that point already. its getting a little old now that in order for it not to do it when I'm turning from a dead stop that I have to be very light on the gas.

very irritating actually. I want to say I remember hearing the issue is just in the clutch packs in the differential and that you just swap them out with new ones and you're good. was this a problem with the original production run or will the new packs eventually show the same problem?

also, I'm "assuming" its about the same procedure as swapping out the packs in the 8.8" rearends? I've done a couple on some of my mustangs doing the "alternative" packing method to get more grip, dont see how this would be any different.

are there aftermarket packs that work better than the factory ones?

sorry to probably beat a dead horse but I dont know exactly what search terms to use for this lol.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

First thing you do is take it in and have the diff oil changed and make sure they add the correct friction modifier when the refill. Even if the clutch packs are bad this is the first thing they will tell you to do and it is the cheapest.

It will take a few hundred miles of driving for everything to get properly lubed up and the "chatter" to stop if this is truly all you need. If you get to 1000 miles and it hasn't stopped or reduced drastically then you will need to have them replaced.

Mine did it and the oil change took care of it nicely. Although you drive around waiting for it to stop only to forget and poof one day it is gone. Mine had 75K on it before I noticed.

The pack swap, from what the mechanic told me is not that bad to do and because they are a wear type part will eventually do the same thing but he said that the replacements (just like the stupid spark plugs) are much better and more reliable than the originals and will most likely outlast your ownership of the truck before needing replacement.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, but get two bottles of Ford Friction Modifier. It takes more than one bottle most of the time.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 1,389 Likes on 664 Posts

Im having the same shudder issue with my truck. I tried adding extra modifier, I changed fluids and still have the chatter so new clutch pack it is for me. In fact I just ordered a new clutch kit today from Randy's ring and pinion. Price is $150 for the rebuild kit that includes the belleville washer springs. The tech told me the washers are known to crack and fail so I bought the kit that include them. For just the clutch pack it was $115. The kit it made by Yukon which is a known quality drivetrain parts manufacturer so I hope they last longer than the stock parts.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:32 PM

Default Need some instructions

Originally Posted by kozal01
Im having the same shudder issue with my truck. I tried adding extra modifier, I changed fluids and still have the chatter so new clutch pack it is for me. In fact I just ordered a new clutch kit today from Randy's ring and pinion. Price is $150 for the rebuild kit that includes the belleville washer springs. The tech told me the washers are known to crack and fail so I bought the kit that include them. For just the clutch pack it was $115. The kit it made by Yukon which is a known quality drivetrain parts manufacturer so I hope they last longer than the stock parts.

I see you had to replace your clutch packs. I have the same exact problem as you did. Can you give me any instructions or pics on how to replace them. I do have vehicle knowledge and know I can do it but could use some guidance. Any instructions and or pics would be helpful. Thanks so much.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jegs? Ford? Summit? are there any others? Amazon maybe?

My truck began doing it. . . a long time ago. Didn't really start bugging me until I read this thread. Funny thing is, mine doesn't do it while turning, it does going straight from a take off at about 3 mph with slight throttle.

Looking for a nice clutch pack cheap. I'll try the friction modifyer first.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I think its more of a Pinion angle problem than clutch packs. Mine does it turning left sometimes. No NASCAR for me.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jbhill
I think its more of a Pinion angle problem than clutch packs. Mine does it turning left sometimes. No NASCAR for me.
yeah, there's a tsb for the earlier model trucks for the pinion angle, my truck has the one that deals with the clutch packs.

anyone have a ford part number for the replacement clutch packs so I can look online?? I still havent been able to find this part number...

also, what diff fluid are you guys using? the ford stuff at $25/qt or something else that you are adding the friction modifier to??

Quick Reply: so tell me more about the rearend shudder problem with the 9.75" rearends