Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

so i ordered my xcal 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i ordered my xcal 3

and when i was choosing the tunes that i wanted i just went with all the 87 octane choices. would there be any reason to get a higher octane than just regular? any benefits? i have a 4.6L
Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kennythekid
and when i was choosing the tunes that i wanted i just went with all the 87 octane choices. would there be any reason to get a higher octane than just regular? any benefits? i have a 4.6L
Congrats on the Xcal III, you're going to love it. Are you getting it custom tuned or are you just going to run the canned tunes that come with it?

I have the Xcal II with 3 custom tunes on it, but honestly I run the 87 octane performance tune primarily. Ran the 92 octane performance tune for a couple fo tanks, but honestly I really didn't see that huge of a difference. A slight difference, but not enough to justify the increased gas costs.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I use the premimum tune because its only about 10 dollars more per fillup. the higher octane fuel tends to have more addatives in it. I get better performance. I prefer it over the regular tune..
Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 PM

thanks wxmcpo, yes i will be running the canned tunes, proly the 87 performance. i dont think i can wait for 10 days though haha i want it now!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Inaugural TOTM

thanks wxmcpo, yes i will be running the canned tunes, proly the 87 performance. i dont think i can wait for 10 days though haha i want it now!
What are kinds of mods are you running? I'd highly recommend that you go ahead and get yourself a set of custom tunes. The 2 most talked about tuners on any F150 board I'm a member of are Troyer Performance and VMP. With Troyer Performance you're getting a tuner that specializes in custom tuning F150's, but takes 10-12 weeks to complete your tunes. With VMP you're getting a tuner who specializes in custom tuning Mustangs, but can get you your tunes in a matter 10 10 days. Since you'll be running canned tunes anywasy I'd suggest you go with Troyer.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

basically higher the octane the more timing you can run and more timing means more power
Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 AM

the only engine mods are a flowmaster exhaust and a k&n airfilter. i ordered it off the vmp website on monday, after reading a thread about who was better, justin or the guy at troyer (mike or something) i just went with the guys a vmp besides who can wait 10-12 weeks!?!? im 18 so being patient isn't one of my better qualities

and what do you mean by custom tuned? on the site i just chose what 3 tunes i wanted and gave the specs on the truck

Last edited by kennythekid; 07-08-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the only engine mods are a flowmaster exhaust and a k&n airfilter. i ordered it off the vmp website on monday, after reading a thread about who was better, justin or the guy at troyer (mike or something) i just went with the guys a vmp besides who can wait 10-12 weeks!?!? im 18 so being patient isn't one of my better qualities

and what do you mean by custom tuned? on the site i just chose what 3 tunes i wanted and gave the specs on the truck

that is as "custom" as you can get without a dyno
Old 07-08-2008, 11:30 AM

Yeah, by ordering it from VMP and choosing the "Custom tuned" programmer...it's custom tuned
Old 07-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Inaugural TOTM

on the site i just chose what 3 tunes i wanted and gave the specs on the truck
How in depth was the site as far as asking for info on your truck? I've never ordered from Justin so I don't know. I know with Troyer (yeah it's Mike) they send you 4 sheets of information you have to fill out regarding your truck. Very in depth as far as the information they require to complete your tunes, I think that's why Mike's able to dial in his tunes the first time. Most guys who order from Mike then go to one of his dyno days or datalog and send the info in don't require any tunes adjusted because they're usually spot on.

I'm actually considering ordering a tune from Justin though so I can compare the two tunes (I have Troyer) side by side.

Quick Reply: so i ordered my xcal 3