Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

So this cluster swap business?

Old 05-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So this cluster swap business?

Hello folks!

Posting my first of what I'm sure will be many posts, I thought I might ask a question, that has probably already been covered elsewhere, but I'm looking for specifics:

I have a 2008 F-150 XLT, and I want to use a Lariat Cluster. Not only because I HATE the current cluster, but the Lariat one is purty, and the message center would be a great addition. Mine currently displays Outside Temp, and compass, but I am feignin' for the Average MPG and MIles to empty.

I've pretty much exhausted my research on the subject. I know I will need the Message Center buttons, and probably have to alter one of the harnesses in my current setup. But from what I understand, certain things won't work, just by swapping clusters.

First is the AC. I do not have the Auto Climate control, and so as I understand, the AC clutch will not engage with the Lariat cluster. I was led to believe there is a way to rectify that, but how?

Interior lights. I need those. Is switching clusters going to cause those not to work when the door is open? I can't remember if this is an issue with the Lariat cluster, or if it was only if swapping with an FX4 cluster?

Are there any other problems that people run into? Has anyone successfully swapped, and made everything functional that was functional before the swap? I saw someone had done this on a 2005, and but never specified if they had to give up anything. I also don't know if the same things would apply to my 2008.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can anyone guide me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

A/C issue thread
http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...e-control.html
Old 05-23-2016, 04:02 PM

This is a good start, however, I don't have any interest in upgrading to Auto Climate control, as there are A LOT of changes that need to be made. I'm interested only in the Lariat Instrument cluster replacing my XLT. Also, it appears this thread is from 2006, and don't know if the wiring or harnesses have changed from when their truck was made, to the 2008 model. Thanks, though.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:02 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Nope; wiring for the 2004 to 2008 models did not change. So if you are stuck on the Lariat cluster for your XLT, then auto climate A/C is what you'll have to do, unless you manually wire a switch to operate the A/C clutch when you want it.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spotana98
Hello folks!

Posting my first of what I'm sure will be many posts, I thought I might ask a question, that has probably already been covered elsewhere, but I'm looking for specifics:

I have a 2008 F-150 XLT, and I want to use a Lariat Cluster. Not only because I HATE the current cluster, but the Lariat one is purty, and the message center would be a great addition. Mine currently displays Outside Temp, and compass, but I am feignin' for the Average MPG and MIles to empty.

I've pretty much exhausted my research on the subject. I know I will need the Message Center buttons, and probably have to alter one of the harnesses in my current setup. But from what I understand, certain things won't work, just by swapping clusters.

First is the AC. I do not have the Auto Climate control, and so as I understand, the AC clutch will not engage with the Lariat cluster. I was led to believe there is a way to rectify that, but how?

Interior lights. I need those. Is switching clusters going to cause those not to work when the door is open? I can't remember if this is an issue with the Lariat cluster, or if it was only if swapping with an FX4 cluster?

Are there any other problems that people run into? Has anyone successfully swapped, and made everything functional that was functional before the swap? I saw someone had done this on a 2005, and but never specified if they had to give up anything. I also don't know if the same things would apply to my 2008.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can anyone guide me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

I know your looking to upgrade the look of your cluster but you also mention how useful the message center function is. Since the swap is fairly challenging if your looking for an easier option to have more information like the average MPG, etc.. The Edge Evo or any other programmer might work for you. You can display up to four parameters such as Average MPG, Instant MPG, Trans Temp, etc.. Plus they do a great job of waking these trucks up, so that's a an added bonus you won't get from just a cluster swap.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:34 AM

I'm mainly interested in the look of the Lariat cluster. It's sounding like it's near impossible to have everything work with a cluster swap. I have seen people who got lucky and were able to get their Lariat cluster to recognize a manual A/C.

Has anyone had any luck with going from an XLT to an FX4 cluster. As I understand there, they lose the door chime with the key and headlights, and they lose the interior cab lights when the door is open. Anyone have a workaround for that?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Not to throw this in the mix, but I went from the FX4 to Lariat cluster with no problems. I believe it all depends on what options you have and what wiring harness is installed. My FX4 has the 'luxury package' with climate control, etc. It was a plug and play swap. I added the info center buttons, and was good to go...
Old 05-27-2016, 03:46 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It's not going to completely be the wiring; it becomes an issue of the options that are flashed in the vehicles PCM (powertrain control module). Many of the features, in this case the auto climate control, is flashed in the PCM, as it needs to know when the A/C is engaged so things such as the idle can be adjusted via the PCM's map settings. The inside air temp, and other software controls are also stored there.
Over the years, folks have tried using a PCM from a donor vehicle, having it flashed with their VIN to make it work, but still found that some features still do not work during a cluster swap.
As I tried to do several years ago, I suggested those who own an FX or SGX without a tach and wanted one use a cluster out of an XLT, or truck equipped with a 4.2 and manual transmission.
In your case however, you want the Lariat cluster. Might be easier to sell or trade your truck for a Lariat trim truck!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
In your case however, you want the Lariat cluster. Might be easier to sell or trade your truck for a Lariat trim truck!
That's what I was thinking the other day, I'd be too worried about opening a can of worms and having issues the rest of the time I had the truck. But if you wanna do it I respect your tenacity, hope it works out well.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

This is interesting because I drive an 05 STX with no bells or whistles, I do have AC but everything is manual control and no tachometer. I'd like to upgrade to the premium display if possible but was afraid of things not connecting.

I did have cruise added recently, I bought the buttons and had Ford reprogram the computer to accept it. Cost me $180 to do so.

Is that what the TC is asking?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So this cluster swap business?