Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Smell in cab - please help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell in cab - please help.

I recently bought a 2006 F150 which I love to death - with one exception. When you first get in the truck there is a sweet smell that isn't really that bad but it is funky enough to notice (and sometimes quite strong).
After driving the truck for a while I dont seem to notice it - either it goes away or I get accustomed to it. I have tried the Lysol in the AC trick and several other sprays and they wont budge it. I have felt around all the carpet after it rains and there are no wet spots so it doesnt appear to be a cab leak.

The truck is still under warranty and so I plan on having a dealer look at it but I would like to see if anyone has had a similar problem or any ideas on where to look.

Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:09 PM
BREW CREW

wait does it smell like fishy or like shrimp
Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tex58
wait does it smell like fishy or like shrimp
No, not at all.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any film on the windshield by the defroster vents ? sounds like a possible heater core leak, does it smell worse with the heat on?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ktmboyz
any film on the windshield by the defroster vents ? sounds like a possible heater core leak, does it smell worse with the heat on?
Nope, no fog and I cant detect any dependance on Heat or AC
Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A sweet smell might just be a heater core which a pin hole leak in it. Open up your radiator reserve tank and smell it. Is that what it smells like? The leak does not have to be much to make it smell inside. In fact if it is leaking just a tiny bit it might take awhile for it to drip out enought to smell. I am sure the dealer will be able to scope it out.

Last edited by transmaster; 06-25-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 PM
OOOH,YEAH!

I Just bought a 02 F150 and have a smell that sounds like what you are going through. I think mine is caused by the wax that the so called detail crew at the dealer(not a Ford dealer) used on the truck. It appears to have been applied with a fire hose. they got most of it rubbed out but I have noticed dried up puddles along the inside of the doors and I am still trying to get my windows completly clean.The reason I think it is wax is because it reminds me of an auto carwash on a hot day.All I am doing is driving with my windows down as much as possable, put in a vanillaroma tree and smoke a butt or two in there once in a while.Seems to be working. Good Luck.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

used to work at a gm dealership...saw some gm's come in with rank smells and most of the time it was mold and stuff inside the air vents..

if that turns out to be it then they make an aerosol just for that to kill any growth or fungus..

Quick Reply: Smell in cab - please help.