Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Small Panel Above Catalytic Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Panel Above Catalytic Converter?

Hey All, I'm new here so if this isn't where the posts belongs I apologize in advance!

I left work today to take my truck for a state inspection and has some "grinding" coming from underneath the vehicle. It seemed exhaust related so I got out and looked under and saw a good bit of water dripping from the front of catalytic converter. I thought maybe it's just some ice thawing out and continued on my way. The noise did get better on the 25 minute ride home but is still there. The noise is only prevalent when accelerating.

When I got home I crawled under and noticed the panel in the attachment dangling there and am hopeful this is the culprit. Not sure if this is some sort of heat shield or just for undercarriage protection?

I cancelled my inspection due to this so any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Small Panel Above Catalytic Converter?-photo-1-3-.jpg   Small Panel Above Catalytic Converter?-photo-2-3-.jpg   Small Panel Above Catalytic Converter?-photo-3-3-.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AGozz
Hey All, I'm new here so if this isn't where the posts belongs I apologize in advance! I left work today to take my truck for a state inspection and has some "grinding" coming from underneath the vehicle. It seemed exhaust related so I got out and looked under and saw a good bit of water dripping from the front of catalytic converter. I thought maybe it's just some ice thawing out and continued on my way. The noise did get better on the 25 minute ride home but is still there. The noise is only prevalent when accelerating. When I got home I crawled under and noticed the panel in the attachment dangling there and am hopeful this is the culprit. Not sure if this is some sort of heat shield or just for undercarriage protection? I cancelled my inspection due to this so any help is appreciated!
Looks like the heat shield.
The following users liked this post:
AGozz (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Heat shield for the farm boys going through uncut stuff and not lighting them on fire. You're probably safe to remove it or you can tie wire it in place securely and see if it goes away.
The following users liked this post:
AGozz (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll tack it back up!

Quick Reply: Small Panel Above Catalytic Converter?