Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Sluggish, boggine and shuttering

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sluggish, boggine and shuttering

I am looking for some advice, have a 2006 F150 4X4 with 75,000 miles. A couple of months ago I began to notice a shudder when accelerating from a no load speed. Got my transmission checked at transmission shop and was told there wasn't a problem with the tranny. He told me it was a cop but since there was no code just to drive it until it threw a code and he could tell which cop was bad. After 2 months, still no code and shudder is worse plus now it has no power when you step on it to make it go into passing gear. It literally bogs down but runs fine otherwise. I took someone's advice on this forum and cleaned my MAS. Followed the instructions to the letter and after cleaning it my check engine sign came on. Took it to Autozone and they checked it and it was code P 0420 which is the left catalytic converter. Cleared the code and after 2 days it came back. Just put an additive in the fuel tank that supposedly will clean the cat sensors. Will see if that helps. Don't know what else to do except replace all cops which is fairly expensive. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks one and all.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:47 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

May be time to Change plugs and cops. I would think the only reason a cat would go bad that early...is it's been misfiring for awhile...and clogged it. Just my thought...could be wrong. Might be a faulty 02 sensor as well..? If the cat is clogged...it should be glowing a faint red after normal operation of the vehicle
The following users liked this post:
csmlet (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SCORGE
May be time to Change plugs and cops. I would think the only reason a cat would go bad that early...is it's been misfiring for awhile...and clogged it. Just my thought...could be wrong. Might be a faulty 02 sensor as well..? If the cat is clogged...it should be glowing a faint red after normal operation of the vehicle
Thanks for the quick reply. My mechanic said to just drive it until it throws a code for cops and then he can tell which one is bad. Think I should do this or just replace all of them?
SCORGE (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

$40 on Amazon for a set of Chinese coils and you're done.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by csmlet
Thanks for the quick reply. My mechanic said to just drive it until it throws a code for cops and then he can tell which one is bad. Think I should do this or just replace all of them?
you could do that...but...if the plugs haven't been changed before..I'd do it. Ford now recommends 60k miles for plug change due to the major PITA that it can become. Buy Motorcraft plugs.. SP-515
And the longer you drive with a misfire...the more other things can become affected. Then get your coils from Amazon. Do it all now...peace of mind
Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Ohhhhh yes. My plugs took twelve hours to get out. Didn't break any, though.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by csmlet
I am looking for some advice, have a 2006 F150 4X4 with 75,000 miles. A couple of months ago I began to notice a shudder when accelerating from a no load speed. Got my transmission checked at transmission shop and was told there wasn't a problem with the tranny. He told me it was a cop but since there was no code just to drive it until it threw a code and he could tell which cop was bad. After 2 months, still no code and shudder is worse plus now it has no power when you step on it to make it go into passing gear. It literally bogs down but runs fine otherwise. I took someone's advice on this forum and cleaned my MAS. Followed the instructions to the letter and after cleaning it my check engine sign came on. Took it to Autozone and they checked it and it was code P 0420 which is the left catalytic converter. Cleared the code and after 2 days it came back. Just put an additive in the fuel tank that supposedly will clean the cat sensors. Will see if that helps. Don't know what else to do except replace all cops which is fairly expensive. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks one and all.
Talked to my mechanic again today and he said to unplug the MAS and drive it, it will show in limp mode and will be sluggish but if it doesn't shudder and pop back through throttle body then I need to replace the MAS. I did, and it did just as he said so bought a new MAS and works fine, for now. Will see how long it will last, as of now runs good and no codes.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 PM
k_h
HMFIC

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you checked the Fuel Pump Driver Module above the spare tire?
csmlet (09-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Sluggish, boggine and shuttering