Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 PM
small engine tech.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slave cylinder

I have an 06 xl with a five speed. I got 44,500 miles on it and noticed my slave cylinder was leaking the other day. I called the dealership expecting it to be under warranty, my extended warranty that is. They told me that a slave cylinder is a wear item and therefore wasn't covered. They quoted me 500 for install and 137 for the part. I bought the part and installed it myself. Has anyone else had this issue. I don't know if it is my driving style that led to the premature failure of this item or if it was just chance.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Seems kinda early for its failure. Of course, if you bought used - never really know how the vehicle was driven beforehand.

Not sure I'd buy the dealer call of being a wear item - crap - that would pretty much eliminate everything on the truck - the engine will wear, the paint will wear, etc. Would personally consider the slave as part of the powertrain warranty, the clutch itself would be a wear item.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
small engine tech.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the input. I purchased the truck brand new. The only reason i would purchase new is for the warranty... The guy told me it was a wear item and i said well hell the bricks on my house are wear items in that case. The reasoning behind it not being covered is its just a big plastic piece-o-crap. i nearly bought a high performance throwout bearing from mccloud but decided to go back with oem product instead.

Quick Reply: slave cylinder