Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

signal mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default signal mirrors

has anyone without signal mirrors installed signal mirrors? Did they work or did you have to get something on the truck switched on in order for them to work? I have a set off a 07 Expedtion and I wanted to install them on my 08 Screw.. wondering what I'm in for. I've also bought a pistol grip shifter to install on my truck to try and get rid of the round stubby.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a good question. I wouldnt mind having the mirrors that also fold in electronically.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

My best guess is that not all trucks would be pre-wired for that. The only way to know for sure is if someone with that option were to remove their door panels and gain access to the bolts to remove the mirror (one door would suffice). Then they could post their findings here as to the wiring color code. Then you would have to remove your door panel and see if that wiring harness plug with the same wiring color code is in your doors.

I too would like to change mirrors in my 2005 STX with that of power ones, as they "break away" when bumped. My truck have the "basic" mirriors; they are manual, and do not "break away". I hate it when folks are walking in a parking lot and cut between cars, only to knock one of my side mirriors. I notice this after I drive away, and have to stop and re-adjust. I'd buy a set of power mirrors, not expecting them to be powered by my truck (I would not go through the effort of installing the switches, etc). I'd mearly adjust them manually, and this way if someone knocks the mirror base, it does not mess up the side mirror adjustment itself.

Now to find a set priced reasonably to fit my wallet.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-28-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM

Default door mirror

I'll go through my power mirror w/o signal and get pics of it. see if the 07 expy mirror will plug in and also see if there is a hot signal wire in my pigtail. more to follow.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI all, i was just browsing thru this website and read your question. Im usually in the F150online.com forums. But To answer your quest. Yes you can install signal mirrors without any extra wires or anything. As long as you have power mirrors. I did it to my truck. All you hav to do is move a ground wire ( think it was a ground) on each mirror from the mirror connector harness. And walla.

Last edited by maxturbo; 01-28-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my truck did come with power mirrors and you can manually fold them in. but it would look so cool to have the turn signals and the electric fold in mirrors.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Default thanks max

thanks max, can you find out for sure which it was... I'd hate to put 12V to something and fry my mirror before I even have it installed.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

well, i can tell you for certain that it wont always just be a direct plug and play. i just did the change myself on my 06 XLT, which came stock with power only. the trucks wiring plug only had 4 wires, which control the power movement only. the new mirrors needed 8 wires (4 for the power movement, 2 for the blinker, 2 for the heater). it was a very easy add in though for me. i just ran some wire through the door loom, and added the wires into the right spots. for the defroster, i added it into my rear window defroster (aftermarket) switch. all works great !!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by mattd17
...for the defroster, i added it into my rear window defroster (aftermarket) switch. all works great !!!
So you added an aftermarket rear window defroster or a different switch? Why? With a vertical surface, it is almost unnecissary to have a defroster.
Just curious. I have never heard of an aftermarket defroster.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FOMOCO466
thanks max, can you find out for sure which it was... I'd hate to put 12V to something and fry my mirror before I even have it installed.
I would have to pull the EVTM to find which wire. But what I did was compare the EVTM wiring connector to the connector on my truck. I used a test light when my test light started flashing with the turn signal on I knew I had the wire than checked the evtm to see which pin in the connector it would go.
If you use a test light u wont fry anything as long as you ground it. Some people put it to power instead of ground.

If you disconnect the mirror connector and look at both the female and male sides you will c one maybe more wires that arent connected to the other side of the connector. All I did was move the wire from one socket pin to the other so it would make contact when I connected them together.
Hope I didnt confuse anybody.

Last edited by maxturbo; 01-28-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: signal mirrors