Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shuttering maybe someone can help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shuttering maybe someone can help

I just bought a 2004 lariat it has 110,000 miles on it the problem I'm having is I have a shutter above 50 mph. Prior to buying the truck the u joint was replaced so its not that but since I bought the truck I've had it in the shop about 3 times because it felt like my trans was slipping turns out it was the spark plugs which seems like a common problem on these f150s since the bad plugs were replaced the problem went away and i was getting much better gas mileage but now I have this shutter and my gas mileage seems to be bad again I'm getting about 14 around town which is good but only 15 highway anyway I've been doing some reading on the forum an thought maybe the coil pack? What do you guys think? I just wanted some opinions before I took it back to the dealer the place I bought it at was not a ford dealer and they don't really seem to know what their doing like i said I had the truck in the shop 3 times before they sent it to a ford dealer to tell me it was bad plugs an I have a feeling if I take it back an tell them I have a shutter their going to have no clue
Old 02-05-2011, 11:41 PM

Is the shutter under acceleration, what happens when you coast at 50. Its just that you should be at full lock up around 50 which has less load on the engine than when you are under acceleration. Does it stop at any point past 50 mph?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:45 PM

ALSO BE CAREFUL, Ford wants you to believe it is plugs, because if I remember correctly an 04 5.4 has the aluminum block and the last time we sent one directly to ford for plugs it cost the customer 1400.00 because the plugs seem to always seize in the block which requires a special extractor tool.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by dmpulcini
I just bought a 2004 lariat it has 110,000 miles on it the problem I'm having is I have a shutter above 50 mph. Prior to buying the truck the u joint was replaced so its not that but since I bought the truck I've had it in the shop about 3 times because it felt like my trans was slipping turns out it was the spark plugs which seems like a common problem on these f150s since the bad plugs were replaced the problem went away and i was getting much better gas mileage but now I have this shutter and my gas mileage seems to be bad again I'm getting about 14 around town which is good but only 15 highway anyway I've been doing some reading on the forum an thought maybe the coil pack? What do you guys think? I just wanted some opinions before I took it back to the dealer the place I bought it at was not a ford dealer and they don't really seem to know what their doing like i said I had the truck in the shop 3 times before they sent it to a ford dealer to tell me it was bad plugs an I have a feeling if I take it back an tell them I have a shutter their going to have no clue
Even when I coast at or above 50 I still have the shudder an I've only had it up to about 75 mph an it still had the shutter I thought maybe it could be the torque converter but when I had it in the shop before they figured out the plugs were bad they put an additive in the trans an when they sent it to the ford dealer they ran codes an said no codes came up for the trans or anything like that
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by partsonwheels
ALSO BE CAREFUL, Ford wants you to believe it is plugs, because if I remember correctly an 04 5.4 has the aluminum block and the last time we sent one directly to ford for plugs it cost the customer 1400.00 because the plugs seem to always seize in the block which requires a special extractor tool.
Well the trucks under warranty
Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 PM

Just a question, did anyone check alignment or tires? Sometimes the stupid things get overlooked
Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by partsonwheels
Just a question, did anyone check alignment or tires? Sometimes the stupid things get overlooked
No but my wheel dosnt shake at all although I guess it could possibly be the rear tires

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM

i replaced ball joints upper/lower and it went away... might check that too
Old 02-06-2011, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im having the same prob its a misfire. it could be a plug, coil pack, or a dirty MAF sensor
Old 02-06-2011, 01:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my truck isnt throwing a code for it either its bullsh!t

Quick Reply: Shuttering maybe someone can help