Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Should I replace all timing components?

Old 11-27-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Should I replace all timing components?

I have multiple issues with my truck. First is the cam phaser which knock at warm idle. I also have a rough idle. I changed all the plugs because before I had a missfire that would move the steering wheel back and forth while idling. Now after the change you can steel feel a vibration when it is idling. Can the phasers be the cause of this vibration or rough idling? Also when I let off the throttle there is a awful ratching noise that you can hear for 2 seconds before it goes back to idle. Are those the chain tensionors? Also if I just replace the phasers will the noise come back? I heard it's from oil pressure. If so, wouldn't that mean that the oil pump is bad? Need some advice here on what I should do.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:59 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,575 Likes on 6,195 Posts

Yes, replace everything, phasers, VCT solenoids, guides, tensioners, oil pump, gaskets. Inspect your cam journals for scoring.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/
Old 11-27-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in the exact same situation as you last month. Folks on this board told me not to cut corners and replace both phasers and all chain components. I didn't listen thinking that I'd chance my luck and not replace the one phaser (and VCT) that wasn't noisy and save $300. Well, it didn't work, I wound up having to go back in and swap out the only parts I didn't replace a week later as it was still getting cam codes and running like crap.

Do yourself a favor and get two OEM phasers, decent chain/tensioner set (I used Cloyes) and an oil pump too or you will probably also regret it. Took me an extra 4 hours to go back in and fix it right the second time but now I'm confident that it's going to run for a long time and it idles smoothly again, the power is back and noises are gone.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaxLT:
F150Torqued (11-28-2016), Summers22 (11-27-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by FordBoy05
I have multiple issues with my truck. First is the cam phaser which knock at warm idle. I also have a rough idle. I changed all the plugs because before I had a missfire that would move the steering wheel back and forth while idling. Now after the change you can steel feel a vibration when it is idling. Can the phasers be the cause of this vibration or rough idling? Also when I let off the throttle there is a awful ratching noise that you can hear for 2 seconds before it goes back to idle. Are those the chain tensionors? Also if I just replace the phasers will the noise come back? I heard it's from oil pressure. If so, wouldn't that mean that the oil pump is bad? Need some advice here on what I should do.
Did you have the problem diagnosed prior to changing plugs or did you just change them and assume a problem?

I ask because a weak coil will take out a plug. This means you may change plugs but have only affected the symptom and not the problem. The true problem was the coil and the plug was just a victim of that problem.

As for the timing work, if you are going to do it, do it all. Do not open up the can of worms and not change everything in there.

In general the phasers fail due to a lose of oil pressure down stream from a fail seal in the chain tensioners. Again, changing just the phasers is treating the symptom and not the cause. Far too many shops do this only to have to open it up later when the phasers quickly fail again.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:12 PM

Would the phasers cause a vibrating idle? Possibly because the timing is off?
Old 11-29-2016, 03:40 PM

Bump

Search this Thread