Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Should heads be replaced or repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Should heads be replaced or repaired?

Hi all, Im new to this s community and this is my first post.
So, I got an 04 F150 that had a timing guide broke. While I was in process of replacing the timing guides, tensioners, chains etc.., When I took the camshafts out to inspect I noticed that there is a lot of scratches on the cam bearings. My question is should I start replacing the heads along with camshafts or should I use fine sandpaper to smooth it out and put a new camshafts in?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I don't think you could polish that out without removing too much material. Im no expert in this area though. It looks pretty severe to my eyes.
The following users liked this post:
igorek25 (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Ouch, what a groove! If it was me... I wouldn't replace them. Make sure they're clean, maybe clean that part of the camshaft, put it back in and keep the oil clean. It's not like the cam shaft is going to break.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Martian
Ouch, what a groove! If it was me... I wouldn't replace them. Make sure they're clean, maybe clean that part of the camshaft, put it back in and keep the oil clean. It's not like the cam shaft is going to break.
What I was thinking, is to use very fine sandpaper to smooth it out and just keep it as is but replace the upper bearings and the camshafts and add Lucas on every oil change. also one of the rocker arm was failed (stock) on the driver side and did some damage to the cam.

Last edited by igorek25; 12-21-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Do not sand them...you will do more harm than good. If you plan on keeping the truck, save up to replace them, if not, just do what Martian said.
igorek25 (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 650NutKase
Do not sand them...you will do more harm than good. If you plan on keeping the truck, save up to replace them, if not, just do what Martian said.
+1, also, make sure you put the caps on exactly as they came off, or this will get worse in a hurry.

Nevermind.

Looks to me like you need new camshafts as well. I would either get new heads and new cams, or you could get your heads line bored and get new cams that are sized to the new bore size, or stock cams with bearings to make up the difference in diameter. If it were me, I would look for a pick and pull with heads that still have the cams in them and swap out everything. How many miles on the rotating assembly?

Last edited by quinner30; 12-21-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: changed my mind
igorek25 (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by quinner30
+1, also, make sure you put the caps on exactly as they came off, or this will get worse in a hurry.
I don't think it would meter with the new camshafts, but I do have it in order.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

FYI

There are no bearings so you cannot replace that in any way.

You noted replacing the top bearing, there is none so I am not sure what you are thinking there. If you are referring to the cap, no, you cannot just replace the cap as it needs to be align honed to ensure a match.

However, I think there is a company that makes bearings for those heads that can be added. This would save you from replacing the heads and instead have a machine shop make the needed changes to add the bearings.

The damage is ugly and will result in lower oil pressure. You can use it as is but with the work and money you are putting in it makes it a tough choice.

You can sand off anything protruding to keep further damage down but DO NOT sand into the surface at all. This would begin to open the clearance and most certainly cause a failure, potentially a catastrophic failure.
igorek25 (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
FYI

There are no bearings so you cannot replace that in any way.

You noted replacing the top bearing, there is none so I am not sure what you are thinking there. If you are referring to the cap, no, you cannot just replace the cap as it needs to be align honed to ensure a match.

However, I think there is a company that makes bearings for those heads that can be added. This would save you from replacing the heads and instead have a machine shop make the needed changes to add the bearings.

The damage is ugly and will result in lower oil pressure. You can use it as is but with the work and money you are putting in it makes it a tough choice.

You can sand off anything protruding to keep further damage down but DO NOT sand into the surface at all. This would begin to open the clearance and most certainly cause a failure, potentially a catastrophic failure.
Dirttracker18,
Thanks for your reply, yes I meant the caps (the top pieces that holds the cams). I think I'll just keep it as is without sending anything and just replace the camshafts and hope for the best. I haven't taken the oil pan off yet I wonder if there is any damage on the crankshaft.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Measure the journal clearance with some plastigauge and see if it's within tolerance. I believe it's .001" - .003"