Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shopping for an '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Mustang Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shopping for an '04-'08

What's up guys. I'm ready to get rid of my '95 and pick up a newer truck. I'm really only looking at '04-'08 models, so I figured I'd come here for a little insight. I'm mostly looking at supercabs because the crew is just a bigger cab than I need. I'm only considering 5.4s because I'll be using the truck to pull a car to the drag strip fairly often. 4x4 is not a necessity, but if I find one with low miles for the right price I'll jump on it. What I mainly want to know is if there are any particular problems I should look out for that are common on these years. I'm seeing a lot of '04s for sale, so I'm particulary curious if there were any first year gremlins in that year. I already know about the spark plug replacement issues because 3V mustangs have the same problem, so I plan to tackle that demon as soon as I settle on a truck. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:49 PM
8up
Old fart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my album, Its for sale, has 14,500 miles!
PM me If you like
Old 12-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Mustang Addict

Originally Posted by 8up
Check out my album, Its for sale, has 14,500 miles!
PM me If you like
Thanks anyway bro, but the Harleys just aren't my cup-o-tea. Probably not my price-o-tea either, lol. Very nice truck though.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest issue in the '04-'08 f150's seems to be valve-train/ cam phaser problems. Do a search in here on cam-phasers and you'll see.
When test-driving prospects, check the noises when idling.
There's a thread in here on phasers that has a link giving you examples of valve-train noises that are normal and not-normal.
5.4L engines are pretty noisy even when running right, so look for rough idle, lots of vibration in the cab during idle. Replacing cam-phasers and valve components can run 1500-2500 so keep that in mind. After rebuilding the valve-train and phasers, mine still sounds a little like a diesel, but idles smooth and gets good mileage.
If you buy from a dealer you can get an extended service warranty covering power-train. It paid off for me.
Check alignment by looking at tire wear. Uneven tire wear could mean worn out control arms, accident damage not repaired properly, tie-rods, etc.
A vehicle thats been freshly steam cleaned could be an attempt to hide leaks in transmission or engine.
Look for brand new hardware on body parts. Shiny new screws and bolts on a bumper indicates a recent collision.
I'd stay away from anything heavily modified like lifts, superchargers, tuners, etc. I'd rather get something 'granpa' drove and do my own mods to it. Anything modified was probably run hard and put away wet. Just my opinion.
Pull up some carpet inside or trim panels near the rocker panels and look for rust. Don't buy something that some idiot drove through a river. I see you are in New Orleans, so I'm sure you are familiar with rust and flood damaged cars.
Make sure you get all the keys and key fobs and make sure they all work in every lock. I found out after buying that my tailgate was not original and my keys didn't fit.
You're right about the plugs, they are an issue, but not the end of the world. I got mine replaced at 65K for about 320 bucks.
Remember Ford F150's are one of the most coveted among thieves, so think security. Plan on spending some bucks on alarms, kill switches, whatever you can to keep it in your driveway and not in Mexico.
If you can, be patient when looking and don't be afraid to pass on one that isn't just right. There are a million of these trucks out there.

Last edited by Ruprecht; 12-26-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Mustang Addict

Originally Posted by Ruprecht
The biggest issue in the '04-'08 f150's seems to be valve-train/ cam phaser problems. Do a search in here on cam-phasers and you'll see.
When test-driving prospects, check the noises when idling.
There's a thread in here on phasers that has a link giving you examples of valve-train noises that are normal and not-normal.
5.4L engines are pretty noisy even when running right, so look for rough idle, lots of vibration in the cab during idle. Replacing cam-phasers and valve components can run 1500-2500 so keep that in mind. After rebuilding the valve-train and phasers, mine still sounds a little like a diesel, but idles smooth and gets good mileage.
If you buy from a dealer you can get an extended service warranty covering power-train. It paid off for me.
Check alignment by looking at tire wear. Uneven tire wear could mean worn out control arms, accident damage not repaired properly, tie-rods, etc.
A vehicle thats been freshly steam cleaned could be an attempt to hide leaks in transmission or engine.
Look for brand new hardware on body parts. Shiny new screws and bolts on a bumper indicates a recent collision.
I'd stay away from anything heavily modified like lifts, superchargers, tuners, etc. I'd rather get something 'granpa' drove and do my own mods to it. Anything modified was probably run hard and put away wet. Just my opinion.
Pull up some carpet inside or trim panels near the rocker panels and look for rust. Don't buy something that some idiot drove through a river. I see you are in New Orleans, so I'm sure you are familiar with rust and flood damaged cars.
Make sure you get all the keys and key fobs and make sure they all work in every lock. I found out after buying that my tailgate was not original and my keys didn't fit.
You're right about the plugs, they are an issue, but not the end of the world. I got mine replaced at 65K for about 320 bucks.
Remember Ford F150's are one of the most coveted among thieves, so think security. Plan on spending some bucks on alarms, kill switches, whatever you can to keep it in your driveway and not in Mexico.
If you can, be patient when looking and don't be afraid to pass on one that isn't just right. There are a million of these trucks out there.
All very good advice. I can see you buy cars like I buy cars. Thanks for the info on the cam-phasers. That's definitely the kind of thing I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Shopping for an '04-'08