Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shop Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shop Trouble

Could use some advice here guys.

Local shop here that is relatively new. I'm a high school student and did not know too much about cars.

So in May of last year I was driving my car and it was shacking violently around 45mph. I took it to this shop and they told me it was the tie rods. They were "about to fall out" I was charged $300 for new tie rods, on top of that I was told that my shocks and struts were desperately needing replaced. I'll give it to them, they were. That was another $700, I got a "one time deal" from the usual $1200. So that visit cost me $1100. I leave and the same exact issue is happening. They told me they could not recreate it but it happened right as I left the parking lot. I take it back and they tell me that I need to replace my tires because the inside wall of the tire was destroyed and caused the vibration.

Fast forward $1200 (aftermarket tires) the issue is better, but happens a few days later. I take it back and demand that they do something because I'd spent so much to no avail. They check and tell me that it was the ring and pinion in the rear end. They did not charge me for labor (Should have been $700) and did not charge me for the grease or U-joint. I also received a $100 discount. The receipt says that the "rear differential kit" was replaced for $693.50. That was last year.

Fast forward to last week. I am having another mechanic do some work and he tells me that the pinion seal is leaking and the main boot is leaking. He pops open the drain plug to check the level and it comes pouring out. It let out a 32oz cup of grey liquid with a little bit of metal in it.

So here I am, are they aloud to mark up the jobs that much? I called napa and they were the most expensive parts at around $250 for the whole kit. Or $109 from ADP. They then charged me $793.50 for the parts but discount me $100. I called the owner and complained and he was a total *****. Tells me "well its an older truck so it would have needed new tires, tie rods, shocks/struts, so I'm not going to apologize for it. I am also not going to apologize for my mark up, if you buy a $40 steak at a restaurant they only paid $10 for it" He also spoke in a very condescending tone and did not want anything to do with me.

I'm under warranty and he said he would replace the pinion seal that is leaking, but how am I do know more damage wasn't done? I feel like this guy isn't going to take care of my car and might do more damage to it? Like I said this man was a total *** on the phone. I don't trust them to work on my car but I have no choice but to do so.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that sucks it seems almost hard to find a good shop. If your under warranty he should fix it or you could ask for your money back and go to another shop even if its aways away its better then dealing with a ******* like that. Good luck
Old 08-05-2015, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by screwf1fidy
Man that sucks it seems almost hard to find a good shop. If your under warranty he should fix it or you could ask for your money back and go to another shop even if its aways away its better then dealing with a ******* like that. Good luck

Thanks, I'll take it tomorrow. He's going to try to do the bare minimum to fix it. Are shops allowed to mark up that much?

Last edited by Runner Dude 14; 08-05-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't stand it. Making me crazy. The word is ALLOWED.
The following users liked this post:
Runner Dude 14 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Honestly, warranty or not, after what you said has happened, I wouldn't step another foot in their shop. I'd also report them to the BBB and post the experience on social media. Be careful not to say anything that didn't happen. Maybe when their business gets hurt, they might start treating their customers better.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Runner Dude 14
Are shops allowed to mark up that much?
They are a business. They are allowed to set their own prices. Most shops use an hour scale for work based on a computer program that has the averages for mechanics to do the job. I also think most shops try to keep their mark up for parts at a minimum, but these guys apparently did not. It sucks that you are on the recieving end of shotty work by mechanics. Hopefully you can find a resolution.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They can realistically charge what they want. Best bet is to always get a second opinion on any work you may have a shop do. Also do a little googling yourself and get an idea what maybe wrong before hand. Greedy/dishonest shops would LOVE a young highschool kid who doesn't know anything to come in, because they can probably sell you on anything, and dishonest shops will do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Millinex:
Ricktwuhk (08-05-2015), Runner Dude 14 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mlr2287
Can't stand it. Making me crazy. The word is ALLOWED.
I honestly don't know how I made that mistake... Fixed it. My bad!!
The following users liked this post:
mlr2287 (08-07-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:39 PM

I always do my research now, I look around and I try to post as much as I can. I also get a good set of three or four eyes on it, both people I know and shops.

Another thing this shop did. I had an oil leak and the manager wouldn't look at it to confirm if it was the timing cover or not because he recalled that I had told him I had a buddy of mine replace it for me. His exact words "I'm not going to tell you what's wrong with your car just so you can take it to someone else who can do it cheaper". Wanted to charge me $99 to check. I called back later to schedule the diagnosis to know what it was for certain, got a different manager and he told me to come on down and they'd look at it for free. Took them 5 minutes to figure it out.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:51 PM

Here are some images for you guys:

http://imgur.com/a/tqCSU

Quick Reply: Shop Trouble