Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shock/Strut recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 05:03 AM
Old-n-Cranky

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Question Shock/Strut recommendations

MY RIDE:
2004 F150 Lariat extended cab, 4x4 (new body), 5.4.
OEM shocks and tires (275/65-18).

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but I thought I might ask if there are some suspension gurus that could give some more specific advice...

I'm going to be replacing all ball joints,, brakes, etc... and thought I might go ahead and replace the shocks while I'm at it. I've always used Rancho's on my trucks and have had pretty good luck with them; however these newer trucks are a bit different than I'm used to...

I purchased my 2004 used so I'm not privy to everything done to it. I believe there was some kind of leveling already done to it based on some paperwork I found inside when I bought it. I can't remember exactly what the "system" was but I vaguely remember it had something to do with leveling. Perhaps it was a Ford-thing at the time, I don't know. I'm trying to find that old paperwork.

The shocks and struts appear to all be OEM based on the part numbers on them (Sachs brand w/Ford part #s stamped on them). I'm pretty sure the truck has not been lifted (again, based on the OEM #'s stamped on the shocks).

TRUCK USAGE:
I don't do any off-roading other than towing a 21-foot boat up rougher mountain roads. I don't usually get into mud unless I have to. I will occasionally play in the snow during the winter.
I also don't haul heavy loads. I leave that task to my utility trailer, or my trusty old 1976 work-horse.
So in short, I suppose I'm looking for a nice ride with the ability to handle rougher roads when necessary.

-

So what kind of shocks/struts should I be looking at based on my usage?
I've been looking at the Rancho 7000-series. I had a similar set on a Ranger I used to own and they made a nice difference in the ride. I'm just not sure how they'd work on my F150. I can't seem to find very many reviews with those shocks and rig combination.

I've been reading these forums and the Monroe seems to be popular, but they are OEM more-or-less. I'd like to go a bit better than OEM.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2016, 05:58 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

The Bilstein 5100 series is a popular buy among this group. Some have also went with KYB brand.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:03 AM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by stankyjeans
MY RIDE:
2004 F150 Lariat extended cab, 4x4 (new body), 5.4.
OEM shocks and tires (275/65-18).

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but I thought I might ask if there are some suspension gurus that could give some more specific advice...

I'm going to be replacing all ball joints,, brakes, etc... and thought I might go ahead and replace the shocks while I'm at it. I've always used Rancho's on my trucks and have had pretty good luck with them; however these newer trucks are a bit different than I'm used to...

I purchased my 2004 used so I'm not privy to everything done to it. I believe there was some kind of leveling already done to it based on some paperwork I found inside when I bought it. I can't remember exactly what the "system" was but I vaguely remember it had something to do with leveling. Perhaps it was a Ford-thing at the time, I don't know. I'm trying to find that old paperwork.

The shocks and struts appear to all be OEM based on the part numbers on them (Sachs brand w/Ford part #s stamped on them). I'm pretty sure the truck has not been lifted (again, based on the OEM #'s stamped on the shocks).

TRUCK USAGE:
I don't do any off-roading other than towing a 21-foot boat up rougher mountain roads. I don't usually get into mud unless I have to. I will occasionally play in the snow during the winter.
I also don't haul heavy loads. I leave that task to my utility trailer, or my trusty old 1976 work-horse.
So in short, I suppose I'm looking for a nice ride with the ability to handle rougher roads when necessary.

-

So what kind of shocks/struts should I be looking at based on my usage?
I've been looking at the Rancho 7000-series. I had a similar set on a Ranger I used to own and they made a nice difference in the ride. I'm just not sure how they'd work on my F150. I can't seem to find very many reviews with those shocks and rig combination.

I've been reading these forums and the Monroe seems to be popular, but they are OEM more-or-less. I'd like to go a bit better than OEM.

Many thanks in advance!
Look on top on the coilover and see if there's a spacer there. That'll tell you if you're leveled. Another way to know is to measure from the center of the wheel well to the fender arch. You should be about 2" to 2.5" higher in the back. If you measure around the same, or the front is taller, you're leveled. No trucks came from the factory with a level. That's aftermarket.

If you are leveled and want to keep that stance, rancho quicklift coilover would work. If you want the oem factory stance, something like the Monroe quick struts will give you that. I remcommed these over just the shock as they're full units. You don't have to deal with a spring compressor and your springs are probably worn anyway.

Don't forget tierods and swaybar links while you're doing the job.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:34 AM
Old-n-Cranky

Thanks everyone for the replies and information.

I measured the height as you suggested. My truck appears to be leveled.
The front is actually a bit higher than the rear. From center of tire to wheel-well, the front measures 24" and the rear 22-3/4". Not exact, but darn close.

Take a look at the picture of my strut below. Is there a spacer you mentioned?

I think it's also a good idea to go ahead and replace the entire spring/strut as a unit. Removing the spring isn't exactly fun (or safe), but I've done it before on other rigs. But as you said... they are getting worn, so not much point in putting in new goodies along side old. The price difference isn't going to break the bank.

I would definitely like to keep the height I'm at now. You mentioned the Rancho Quick-lifts. Just to make sure - I won't need to get any additional spacers or taller springs?

Sorry for so many questions. It would have been so much easier if my truck was bone stock. That's the big problem buying used and having unknown variables!

Thank you!

Old 11-09-2016, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by stankyjeans
Thanks everyone for the replies and information.

I measured the height as you suggested. My truck appears to be leveled.
The front is actually a bit higher than the rear. From center of tire to wheel-well, the front measures 24" and the rear 22-3/4". Not exact, but darn close.

Take a look at the picture of my strut below. Is there a spacer you mentioned?

I think it's also a good idea to go ahead and replace the entire spring/strut as a unit. Removing the spring isn't exactly fun (or safe), but I've done it before on other rigs. But as you said... they are getting worn, so not much point in putting in new goodies along side old. The price difference isn't going to break the bank.

I would definitely like to keep the height I'm at now. You mentioned the Rancho Quick-lifts. Just to make sure - I won't need to get any additional spacers or taller springs?

Sorry for so many questions. It would have been so much easier if my truck was bone stock. That's the big problem buying used and having unknown variables!

Thank you!

Not a problem.

Just to give you a little idea of what the truck should be at stock, the front would be about 22" - 23" and the rear should be about 25"-26" All trucks come with what's known as a factory rake. That's where the rear is taller than the front. This helps with towing and hauling so you're not nose high and squatting. 22 3/4" is not a normal night for the rear of a 4x4 in this generation.

I'd have a look under the rear and see if the factory blocks were removed from between the axle and leaf packs or your rear springs are broken / work.

Since you're towing, id aim to at least get the truck dead level and not taller in the front.

And correct. If you get something like rancho quick lifts, they will raise you about 2" taller than stock so you won't have to use the spacer you have in there.

Or you could get something like the Monroe quick struts and reuse your current spacer.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:57 AM
Old-n-Cranky

Thanks for your reply! You've been an enormous help. Obviously you know a hell of a lot more about suspensions than I do.

Here's a pic of my leafs... Is that the block you're talking about?
It all looks factory to me, but I could be wrong. Another thing to note is the rear shocks are approx. 21.500" between the centers of the mounting bolts (w/no load on them). The numbers are scoured off, but they look similar to the front struts so I think it's safe to assume they are also a Sachs OEM shock.

I also did another height measurement. I'm getting 24" in the front and 23" in the rear. It's possible my truck was sitting funky the first time I measured. I also have a tool box in the bed, but I wouldn't think it has enough weight in it to affect the suspension. If they leafs are worn, I suppose it could. With the miles it has on it, I wouldn't be surprised.

I really didn't plan on messing with the leaf springs at this time. I hope I don't have to. All I'm really after is a good comfy ride for my crippled butt with the ability to handle rougher times when I occasionally get weird off-road!

I was also looking at the Ranch 7000's but I haven't found a kit that has the strut assembled with the spring. After adding parts together and the time to swap springs (plus the possible danger fussing with spring pressure), it's cheaper to buy the 9000's.
I'm not against Monroe... I've only ran them on cars. Main reason I'm considering the Rancho's is experience with them. I've had excellent results with the 5000's on my 1976 Ford and RSX series on a 2001 Ranger I use to own.

Last edited by stankyjeans; 11-10-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:51 AM

Yep, the rear looks stock to me. I personally run Monroe quickstuts in my truck. When I hit 100k, I replaced every part of the suspension with Moog parts and used the Monroe quickstut coilovers. I wanted a factory ride and that's what it gave me.

Personally, I'd go with the rancho quicklift and lose the leveling spacer in the front. They will keep you at about the same height without it.

I haven't heard of many, or any for that mater running the 7000's on f150s so I really can't comment about them.