Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shock change

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shock change

It time to replace my shocks, 05 lariat 4x4. 78000 miles. Do I realy need to replace the front springs or can I just replace the shock? Is the spring a part that normally wears out? I was looking at my service manual and it states that I have to remove the rear caliper to replace the rear shocks, it looks like I would have enough room to get shock off without taking off the calipers, what's been everybody's experience? I will probably be going with the monroe reflex front and rear. I was looking at the monroe load leveling shock, but was afraid that the ride would be to harsh. I only tow my camper about 5 times a year (6000lb).
Thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You need what is called a quick strut. It's a spring and shock combo or you could say the entire unit. Monroe sells a decent set. Check out Monroe shocks.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can change you rear shocks without removing the calipers. I wouldn't replace the springs if they still look good. You will need a spring compressor tool so you can disassemble the spring from the old strut and put it on the new strut. Or you can probably take it to a shop and get them to do that. You can rent the tool from the auto parts store.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006scab
You can change you rear shocks without removing the calipers. I wouldn't replace the springs if they still look good. You will need a spring compressor tool so you can disassemble the spring from the old strut and put it on the new strut. Or you can probably take it to a shop and get them to do that. You can rent the tool from the auto parts store.
This^^^ Rear shocks are a breeze, fronts are essentially the same as a cars struts. Rent the spring compressor for free, it's very simple and cheaper than strut assemblies.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice, Springs look in good shape. Was leaning toward just doing shocks. Can anyone speak to how stiff a ride the Monroe load leveling shocks give you? Trying to decide between those and the Monroe reflex.

Quick Reply: Shock change