Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shifter moves freely hard to engage in gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter moves freely hard to engage in gears

My shifter in my 04 lariat moves freely and won't engage all the time. Going from park down the tree seams to work but going up from second to park won't engage without playing with it a lot. The linkage appears fine and is connected at the tranny
Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Trevnc1
My shifter in my 04 lariat moves freely and won't engage all the time. Going from park down the tree seams to work but going up from second to park won't engage without playing with it a lot. The linkage appears fine and is connected at the tranny

I can find a lot of people having this issue with the shifter not coming out of park. Mine will come out of park, it just won't grab any of the gears from the bottom of the tree up. For example it won't click on and engage from second to drive or drive to reverse but if I start in park and go down the tree from park to drive or park to reverse it will. Any ideas, I can't afford to pay ford to fix this. I can't figure out what is broken or loose. Any ideas please help!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Have somebody shift through gears while you're underneath and visually check the linkage. Set the pk brake first for safety
Old 09-28-2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Have somebody shift through gears while you're underneath and visually check the linkage. Set the pk brake first for safety

I did that already it seams fine. I didn't see anywhere to adjust it anyway, am I missing something. I was thinking since the linkage is connected and moving the cable must be good, right? So I was thinking it must be something inside the gear shift assembly itself, but I looked at it and there's not much to it and it seems ok
Old 09-28-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

I had a conversation with a guy a few weeks back who had the same problem with his floor shifter. He said it had something to do with the detents at the shifter and he was able to tighten it up.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by EBC-150
I had a conversation with a guy a few weeks back who had the same problem with his floor shifter. He said it had something to do with the detents at the shifter and he was able to tighten it up.
Awesome thank you! Now if I can just figure out where those are. Does anyone know where the detents are located and how to tighten them. Are they in the shifter handle or inside the assembly?

Quick Reply: Shifter moves freely hard to engage in gears