Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

and she purrs once again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 PM
-brad

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default and she purrs once again!

Well, I'm sure the last thing you all want to hear about is the dreaded sparkplug change, but I must vent out my joy!

I got my new Autolites in the mail last week (say what you want about whatever brand you think is best, I chose Autolite. And there in there for good!) so i purchased the Napa sparkplug removal tool. (Lisle's clone) Sp starting yesterday afternoon I pulled off the COP and what not. Cracked the sparkplugs an 1/8th turn, sprayed some PB Blaster down and waited 20 minutes. I had heard that people using the impact air gun worked with great success. So, I tried it. The first 2 plugs broke. So I set the air gun aside. Did the next 2 by hand, came out in one piece! (with horrible sounds mind you) By the end i had 3 of 8 come out in 1 piece 1 plug actually came out in 3 pieces...yikes. Out came the Sparkplug tool. It took me longer to figure out how to use the fricken tool then actually removing them.
I greased up the new plugs, threw them in, but the COP's back on and what a difference! Steady smooth idle, more power, and better response. I have been dreading changing these for some time. My truck has 203,000Km's on it. And 7 of the plugs were still original. Don't ask my why but 1 plug was an Autolite. Previous owner was a bit...odd in taking care of vehicles.
So basically if any of you guys and gals have to do this job and are dreading it...its not as bad to do as you think. Its not fun though. Just make sure you have the proper tools, patience, time, and the ability to work without actually being able to see anything. I spent 10 hours with my head in the engine and *** in the air. But, its done!

Oh, also...have beer in the fridge. You will want a cold one when your done!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice job man! I just bought my truck and I want to change the plugs. havent decided what brand to go with but ill be buying the spark plug remover for sure before I do anything. Glad to hear it made a difference on how it runs
Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 10 1/2 hour job myself. 8 of 8 broke and I tried all the tricks. Penetrating lube, engine nice and hot then let it cool for a half an hour, used the impact wrench, used just the socket wrench with the spark plug socket and ***** footed and they all broke. So I just say use the impact wrench and get the **** over with. Of course no chance of getting to #4 and #8 with the impact wrench and I am not sure how the guy on youtube did it.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered new coils and the tool but haven't decided on plugs yet. Mine is an 07 and has 63,000 miles so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

To make it easier the next time you change plugs (it won't help you this time) put permatex anti seize compound on the threads. Also, when I changed mine I put permatex dielectric grease on the plug wires at the plugs and also at the distributer. This gives your wires a really great connection and makes your truck run really smooth. A tube of both only cost about $4 each at your local Autozone and you will have a lot left over for other jobs. I keep both of these in my tool box at all times and use the anti seize on all threads and the dielectric grease on all electrical connections. both great products.

Frank Ford
Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 PM
-brad

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah i used dielectric grease too. I bought it a while ago for trailer connectors.

Quick Reply: and she purrs once again!