Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Sensors not working after body work

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sensors not working after body work

Long story short, on a 2008 XLT had a body repair shop replace the hood and put on a new roof skin for hail damage. Roof work definitely involved cutting out the front windshield, removing the head lining, and possibly removing the rear seat based on the smudges they left on it. Now I've noticed both my compass and my automatic headlights are not working.

About an hour after getting the truck back I noticed the compass was not working, just displaying dashes "--" (mini information center LCD). Next evening I also noticed that my automatic headlights are not functioning, have to switch them on manually. Seems unlikely that they damaged both sensors. I imagine (hope) they both go through some common route to the BCM, anybody have any idea where I should be looking? A fuse or a cable connection somewhere?

The first day I took it straight back, body shop proprietor only looked briefly for a loose connection on the compass and suggested I take it to Ford rather than have his guys tear it all apart again (I didn't know about the headlight sensor yet). I think he was thinking maybe the compass sensor just needs replacing and he could throw it back on the insurance somehow to reimburse me. Ford can't look at it until this next week, but now I know its more than just the compass, and who knows what else isn't working.

Probably call the body shop again Monday about it, but before I go through all this hassle and wrangling with these people and getting Ford involved and trying to figure out who is going to reimburse me and when, maybe its an easy fix I can do myself? Preferably without having to completely dismantle the interior, in which case I'm making somebody else do it.

Quick Reply: Sensors not working after body work