Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Senior Design Project Ideas please

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Senior Design Project Ideas please

I am a senior Mechanical Engineer student at the University of Akron, ohio. I am looking for ideas to do my senior design project on. I have an '04 F150 4x4 and I would like to have my project deal something with automotive industry. Mainly my truck. I have to design and build this thing as well. Documentation will be done as well. I have thought about the following already: turbo setup (kit) for my truck, hide away steps (yes i know they are already available) but i can modify a current product or make my own. I just need some ideas so if you could please get a tally going. I am fairly limited on funds so extremely expensive ideas are a no go. You provide the idea and i will do the research and design. thanks guys. I have until May 2010 to finish this as well.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

design a twin turbo w/ intercooler setup for the truck.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:36 AM

yea i was thinking about that, do a mock up of the setup on the 6.4L superduty. The turbo's would cost in the thousands i believe unless i can get a deal on some. I did some research a couple months ago through garret turbo. information was helpful. but i am not sure if i want to shell out a grand per turbo..... but it would be sweet. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

how about a center channel speaker integrated into the "stuff tray" on the top of the dash.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:04 AM

do you have an example of what you are talking about? something as a reference i could look in to. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Inspector Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some friends who were assigned to build from billet aluminum, a working internal combustion engine--only a few off-the-shelf items were allowed. (i.e. spark plug, carburetor. Those guys made me wish I was smart enough for the calculus in getting an engineering degree.

Another idea: how about a locking rear diff? I'd assume you can get some machine shop time for cheap or free (?)

How about making a pickup-truck into a gas-electric or diesel electric drive, like some of those huge off-road dump trucks. The internal combustion engine is used solely as a generator to drive electric motors at each wheel. They're built that way to maximize the power harnessed from the engine, and because it's impossible to transmit the kind of power that moves such a large truck by a drive shaft...In a pickup truck, it would be amazing--you'd have an even torque and HP band, nearly instant acceleration and if sufficiently protected, an unstoppable 4x4. If one were so inclined, electricity could even be stored in batteries underneath the bed, thus making it into a hybrid--but one that would chew up a toyota and crap a honda. You could effectively start with any truck you wanted, and use mostly scrap parts.

Anyway, best of luck! Please let us know what you decide and how the process goes.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
how about a center channel speaker integrated into the "stuff tray" on the top of the dash.

hahahahahaha, That would be great!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 AM

yea i have always wondered why no one implemented train tech in to the automobile industry like they have those dump trucks. great stuff but way over my affordable buget. See they money comes from my personal pocket. So funding via university is possible but they keep the project at the end of the year is i choose to borrow their money. Also i can work in groups (not sure if it is only other students from class or not though) As far a machine shop yea I can get machining done for free through the university (if they have the tools to do it.) they have CAD/CAM machines but i do not believe they can heat treat or nitrate material though. I have thought hard about the turbo deal..for months now. I could learn about making headers fuel mapping air ratios,,,,which i already have a head start on from class. Whatever I choose it will be fun. Might also give me a reason to buy a welder and torches. Thanks again the info is great.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 AM

the speaker idea that doesnt sound bad either. for interior custom design work. thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heads up display!

Quick Reply: Senior Design Project Ideas please