Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Sell or Part Out??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sell or Part Out??

So I have a 2005 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4. The truck has 8" of lift, 8" atlas spring leafs, ICON Piggy Back 2.5 rears and ICON CDC Reservoir Front Coil overs, 37" Nitto Trails on fuel wheels. OEM black interior on a white over tan exterior etc etc. about $40k in aftermarket. I know I'll never get close to that... originally listed truck at $24k and with limited interest dropped it to $15k. My question becomes I feel like I am getting to a point where I would be better served parting the truck out? Any thoughts? Here is a link to the craigslist add, any constructive feedback is appreciated.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4629583930.html
Old 09-10-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWhite05
So I have a 2005 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4. The truck has 8" of lift, 8" atlas spring leafs, ICON Piggy Back 2.5 rears and ICON CDC Reservoir Front Coil overs, 37" Nitto Trails on fuel wheels. OEM black interior on a white over tan exterior etc etc. about $40k in aftermarket. I know I'll never get close to that... originally listed truck at $24k and with limited interest dropped it to $15k. My question becomes I feel like I am getting to a point where I would be better served parting the truck out? Any thoughts? Here is a link to the craigslist add, any constructive feedback is appreciated. http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4629583930.html
Strip down the ENTIRE TRUCK of aftermarket parts. Take it back to stock and you can still get a good amount for it. That 220K miles will have 90% of people uninterested. The 10% that are probably won't want a truck as heavily modified as it is.

If you really have $40K in parts, then you shouldn't have a problem getting 50% of it back and make more doing that than selling the whole truck at $15K. Good luck
Old 09-10-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I was starting to think, the challenge I face is the expense and ability to locate stock parts.

I went through all the receipts and aftermarket parts alone is just over $32k labor was just under $10k
Old 09-11-2014, 12:20 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWhite05
That's what I was starting to think, the challenge I face is the expense and ability to locate stock parts. I went through all the receipts and aftermarket parts alone is just over $32k labor was just under $10k
Offer to trade for stock parts with cash on the other person's end.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a place to keep it stored I'd just part it out completely and not worry about trying to bring it back to stock. It's probably going to take a long time to part it out, but there's really no sense in spending any money on it trying to bring it back to stock.

If you can't store the whole truck, then at least tear down the most expensive parts and whatever you think you can sell, then try and sell the rest of the truck as a parts truck as-is once you strip it down.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:10 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Considering you shelled out 10k in labor, it sounds like you will be paying someone to strip the truck down.. Not to mention buying quite a few OEM parts. Your not going to get out of this truck with a smile on your face or much cash in your pocket relative to what you spent..

Sell it as is.. List it in other areas and be prepared to drive it a couple hundred miles for the final sale.. Get more pictures on your ad too..

Price it around 12k and it will sell quick.. This is a **** economy were in at the moment, and it's gonna get uglier in the future...Mark my words. Odds are that nobody could get a loan for that truck with those miles anyway, so you are definitely waiting around for a cash buyer. The problem with that is your demographic (young buyers/toy market) does not have much cash to burn....
Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The milage is for sure killing you on the sale. Truck looks super nice nice though.

If you can pull the parts off yourself I would do what [MENTION=169262]mike.h20[/MENTION] said and offer for stock parts plus cash on their end. But if you can't do it yourself you could drive it to PA and I'd swap everything on my truck for you for free!

I'd hate to even recommend taking it to a stealership and trying to trade it in on something.

Quick Reply: Sell or Part Out??