Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Seafoam an 04-08

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seafoam an 04-08

So I want to add seafoam to anything possible in my truck. i just recently used the stuff in my gas tank and it just seems as though the engine runs a tad bit better. Not a whole lot but I want to Seafoam the rest of the engine too. My questions are two: I already added a can of Restore to my engine oil when Ichanged it just over 1K ago what happens if I add Seafoam too? And do I just pour it in my crankcase? And how else could I put seafoam in my system? Ok so its three questions sue me!!! Thanks in advance for everything and Happy Fordin!!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the engine oil thing.The only thing I put in the crankcase is Mobil1 oil.I would think the Seafoam would thin out the oil.Don't get me wrong Seafoam is some bad *** stuff.I have been using it for years, but only in the fuel of everything I own.I put a can in the fuel tanks every oil change...
Old 02-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

See thats what I think too. It looks to thin to add to oil but I have heard of people doing it and it says it on the can so I was just wondering if anyone else has added it to anything other than fuel.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

You run it through the crankcase... then you change your oil after about 100 km.

Watch some instructional videos on youtube before you try it.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

IIRC you can siphon it through the vacuum system as well.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add 1½ oz. Sea Foam to each quart of oil. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the old oil varnish residue that builds up on lifters and rings and prevents them from functioning normally. This process can be done as part of a pre service cleaning by adding the Sea Foam to the oil at least 30 miles before the next oil change interval. OR it can be done as a preventative maintenance process without changing the oil. You can leave Sea Foam in the oil indefinitely as long as the oil is clean. The addition of a high-detergent oil like Sea Foam may cause the oil to become dirty faster than normal as buildup oil residue and contamination are cleaned. Check the oil at regular intervals and when it gets dirty, change it.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sea Foam Motor Treatment may be used in an oil crankcase 2 separate ways, depending on your needs and expectations. Sea Foam Motor Treatment is most commonly used as a pre-service, old oil residue re-liquefier / cleaner and moisture drier. It can also be used as an after-service oil additive. In either application, Sea Foam Motor Treatment will safely and slowly re-liquefy old oil residue. Each method is described below:
  1. As a pre service cleaner for old oil residue, sticky rings or valve train noise, pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of oil capacity, including filter. Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service – Lube, Oil & Filter (LOF). This begins the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged & Supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leave those residues that NEED CLEANING.
  2. As an after service additive into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (based on mileage since last oil change), put the same amount of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the crankcase as described above, and then regularly monitor your oil for color and clarity. Set a predetermined schedule for checking the oil condition on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. Monitoring of the oil for color and clarity will tell you when it is time to do an oil change service. NOTE: Do not exceed 3,000 miles without changing the oil.
Sea Foam is safe to use with all synthetic oils. 100% synthetic oils, and blends of synthetic and petroleum-based oils, were engineered and are manufactured to be 100% compatible with petroleum based oils, all brands, and vice/versa. Without this compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants. Since Sea Foam ONLY contains petroleum oils, it is entirely compatible with synthetic oils.
Remember! When Using Sea Foam in Your Crankcase:
  • Check your oil and monitor its color & clarity to determine need for LOF service!
  • Change your oil when it gets dirty!
The following users liked this post:
GreatWh1te (08-30-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently replaced the vct soloniod on the pass side of my 5.4L in doing so I noticed an unhealthy buildup of sludge. I guess my only remaining question after reading this thread. Would I run the risk of locking my engine up? You know breaking all that stuff loose and it getting into some critical engine parts I would think would be a very real potential danger. If not please let me know. Im wanting my baby to run as long as she can on the original drive-train.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Why did you use Restore? Do you have blowby or poor compression? If so, seafoam is not going to help that.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put seafoam in the crankcase last week. I put about 200 miles on the truck and just changed the oil yesterday. Before the seafoam, I had the dreaded 5.4L tick. The next time I started the truck after the oil change, it was quiet as a mouse! However, after a drive, the tick came back. I don't know if they are related or not, but in my experience, adding seafoam to the crankcase won't hurt.

Quick Reply: Seafoam an 04-08