Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Scratching my head...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Hemi H8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratching my head...

I have an 06 SCREW 5.4l 4X4 with the only mod being a Flowmaster 30 Series muffler and an Evo programmer. I have begun to notice a slight vibration/miss/shudder/rough idle (yes, all that, it seems) some times while either first starting it up at idle or after driving for several minutes/miles. It almost reminds me of how a 2 cycle bike feels when a plug gets fouled, but not as obvious. I am under the impression that if a plug were fouling it would trip a code, but I have no lights or code alerts. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for why this is happening. The Evo is set at level 3 and I use 93 octane fuel. I tried returning the Evo back to stock settings and drove it for a few days The problem never reoccured, but it is so infrequent and I hate the way the truck runs on stock settings vs. Level 3, so I changed it back after a week to level 3 again. I checked the Evo for an update and it said none were found. Is anyone aware of something that may be causing this? I am not sure what to do from here, but I can't even imaginee the cost of having someone trace it or try to troubleshoot. Thanks for any input. This is a great forum!

Last edited by EMT883; 06-05-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Could be a misfire on a cylinder which wouldnt be very noticeable when there are 7 other cylinders, or it could be a vaccum leak.

Had something similar to this on my 2001 WS6 Trans Am after taking it out of storage for 2 years and it was a leak on the PCV Line. Replaced the hose and runs great now. Depending on how many miles your truck has these are my best guesses.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ one cylinder missing is very noticeable. It could be many things but I'd wait for it to get worse before trying to fix it. And my truck has a terrible miss right now and it won't throw a code.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Hemi H8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess I'm not the only one with this issue... Thanks.

Quick Reply: Scratching my head...