Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Says low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Says low oil pressure

I was backroading and went through a long stretch of water then all the sudden my rpms started declining till the truck died. It never made any kind of noise when it happened. I tried startin it back up and It started normal then died the same way and had a low oil pressure light come on. But had plenty of oil. Any ideas?? Some one said could have been circuit board got wet is that correct? It doesn't sound like a blown head gasket or anything.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbarnett1997
I was backroading and went through a long stretch of water then all the sudden my rpms started declining till the truck died. It never made any kind of noise when it happened. I tried startin it back up and It started normal then died the same way and had a low oil pressure light come on. But had plenty of oil. Any ideas?? Some one said could have been circuit board got wet is that correct? It doesn't sound like a blown head gasket or anything.
Howdy & Welcome!

Yer truck will register no oil pressure if the engine is not running - it's a result, not a cause.

Couple things to check - you got yer COPs wet, or yer FPDM is compromised and the water caused it to malfunction.

You can try to dry out the COPs and remove all water from the plug wells if any. Expect a failed COP (or COPs), though if this is the cause. Replace with Motorcraft or Visteon if you can, as this will ensure best reliability.

As fer the FPDM: http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...placement.html

good luck

Last edited by MGD; 05-13-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

was the low pressure light on only when it was not running? if so, I don't think you likely actually have a low oil pressure issue.

you "might" have gotten a circuit wet but I pressure wash my engine now and again (being careful not to actually blast anything electric but it still gets wet) and I've never had a vehicle die from it. how high was the water? is it possible you got some water in your air filter box? also if your tail pipe was submerged when you re-started it, you could have some serious problems.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by MGD
Howdy & Welcome!

Yer truck will register no oil pressure if the engine is not running - it's a result, not a cause.

Couple things to check - you got yer COPs wet, or yer FPDM is compromised and the water caused it to malfunction.

You can try to dry out the COPs and remove all water from the plug wells if any. Expect a failed COP (or COPs), though if this is the cause. Replace with Motorcraft or Visteon if you can, as this will ensure best reliability.

As fer the FPDM: http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...placement.html

good luck
Thank you and when the truck started is when it started flashin the low pressure and what does COP stand for?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 PM
MGD
former member

Thank you and when the truck started is when it started flashin the low pressure and what does COP stand for?
Hi. So - flashing while cranking, or flashing/on while it was actually running? Off-hand, I know of no way high water (within reason) would trigger a low oil pressure event. Yer more likely to hydrolock from intake injestion.

COP - stands for Coil-On-Plug - each plug has it's own coil. They are sensitive to water (induces misfires).

good luck
MGD
Old 05-13-2014, 12:15 PM

Would their be a rough sound to motor if it was hydrolock because when it starts it sounds Normal then rpms jus die off
Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 PM
MGD
former member

Would their be a rough sound to motor if it was hydrolock because when it starts it sounds Normal then rpms jus die off
Hi.

No - typically the motor would be seized - hydrolock bends rods, holes the block, etc. But - I suppose if it was just a minor amount of incompressible water entering one cylinder, only that cylinder would be compromised and very rough running would ensue.

Turning the motor over by hand with all the plugs removed is one way to check.

MGD
Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

if you hydrolocked, if it ran at all, it would run terrible because you'd at least have some bend valves
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM

Well it sounds fine so I don't think it is hydrolock es
Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

check around the plugs, I'm guessing they are wet

Quick Reply: Says low oil pressure