Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Saying goodbye

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saying goodbye

Well guys, i may be selling the f-150 and going to play with the big boys. Im looking at a 2007 F-350 with the 6.0 however I am concerned about this motor and i wanted everyones feedback on it. There are bad reviews on this motor but they all come from 2004-2005 and for 2006-2007 there are nothing but good things. Did they get things straightened out or do i not have all the info. Also if there were going to be problems what would there be, that way i know what im talking about. I am buying it from a ford dealership and it has warranty on it but i just dont want a headache. Thanks guys.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to SaferCar.gov (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/results.cfm)
the only thing under investigation on the 2007 F350 is a shutter in the front end when traveling down a rough roads. So far nothing concerning the engine. I like the Diesel Ford uses. it is the excellent International MaxxForce engine. (http://www.maxxforce.com/why-choose-maxxforce.aspx) Of course Ford calls it the Power Stroke. When you look at the figures concerning the older engines they consist oil leaks for the most part. However when you look at the actual number of people having these problems it is tiny considering the number of these engines running around. One such oil leak was reported by 61 people, 61 out of how many tens of thousands of these engines running up and down the highway. All of these problems where taken care of under warranty.

So much of the trouble I see in diesels engines is the fault of the owners. They go from a gas engine to a diesel and they do not educate themselves on the care and feeding of a diesel engine. Wrong oil, not changed often enough, not using fuel conditioners, not changing air cleaners, not letting the cold start system do it job and trying to start the engine before the glow plugs have heated to operating temperature and coating them with goo'ed on diesel fuel so they have to be replaced, etc, etc.

In other words go for it.

Last edited by transmaster; 02-10-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:51 PM

have you looked into what oil changes will cost plus fuel filters and the injectors you should price them out.and if youre not working that truck and just driving around as you would a gas job youre waisting youre money.i dont know where you live but here diesel is more then gas.if you just want more power have you thought about a v-10? dont get me worng 2 months ago when i bought my 08 supercrew,i went in looking at a diesel and came home with a gas job.and i just love going from pump to pump.ohwell its only money.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 PM

my friend has a 07 f-350 it is in the shop for the third time with blown head gaskets
he is trading it for a 08 when it is done
Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM

My neigbor has a 07 diesel that he uses at work and he just bought an 06 V10 for hauling his 20' kart racing trailer. His concern with the diesel was that he drives through a lot of small towns and not all gas stations have diesel. Diesel is also 30-50cents more on a given day. He burned out a couple of injectors a few weeks ago because he got some bad fuel and it gelled up bad. He got about 8 mpg with his v10 hauling a 4 ton trailer. He used his 04 f-150 for 2 years pulling that same trailer but he didn't want to wear to wear it out. He got 10 mpgs towing with the f150.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 AM

I have two Ford diesel trucks a 03 w6.0 and a 05 with the 6.0. Both have had problems. The 03 colant leak that 3 Ford dealers couldn't find until the warranty ran out, 4 bad injectors ( replaced all /not warranty), front ball joints (2w drive). The 05 is still under warranty and I have had 3 injectors replaced and I am at 72K miles on it. I will not buy another Navastar Diesel engine in anything. Right now in my area diesel is .35-. 45 higher than gas. If its like that in your area i suggest you get a gas engine. If the 5.4 isn't enough engine drop 6K and supercharge it. I am not the only one with 6.0 problems a few of my friends have 6.0's and they all have had problems. One of my friends traded his 6.0 for an 08 w 6.4, well the turbos went out; made the dealer take the truck back and bought a 5.4 SD. Good luck and if you can get a WARRANTY!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the new PSDs are awesome, but like anything else, never buy the firts model year of anything. ex, the 6.0 had problems, but MOST were figured out by the second year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saying goodbye