Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

SAS VS. Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 AM
SoCal Thread Shredder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SAS VS. Jeep

so i was thinking about making the front of my truck SAS to make it 4x4 but one of the guys from the forum said just get a jeep around 1000g and off roading the and end up spending 3-4 and i wont mess up my truck as much

but i am not that much educated in jeeps...i was thinking about something like 96-98??

i have a friend that has a jeep just the way i want he got it for 800 or 1000 and ended up spending 3500 for lift tires and everything but he has been way to busy to talk to lately for me to talk to him

whats your guys or girls opinions?

btw his is the black jeep and i love it

Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 AM
This picture scares you

I think you already know my opinion... Go with the jeep, that way when you get it scratched to hell or dented you won't be stressed out... Much cheaper/easier option also... BTW, I have one of these sitting at my house, maybe once I have some extra $$ it will be out there (just have got to do something about the oil leaks, it leaks like the gulf of mexico...)
Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 AM

just empty every pocket... yeah. beat em up so it wont beat up your truck
Old 06-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends, what type of 4wheeling do you want to do? If all you want to do is blast up and down dirt roads then you don't even need 4WD. Now if you want to wheel in the rough stuff then yes, a older Jeep is a great option. A full size truck is just too large for many trails and why beat up a pricey truck when a better suited rig can be had for much less. Here's a couple of pictures of how I like to play:

Last edited by GrimJeeper91; 06-03-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

There are some things that you will have to consider if you SAS your truck. First and foremost, is the cost and know that you'll never be done with it and it will always require some adjustments to get it driving right. I am saying this from my experience of doing my friend's 92' Toyota truck. Upfront he paid about maybe $2500 for the parts then I don't know how much more for misc parts to get it right. Labor is a big deal too so I hope you have the knowledge to do this. On the Toy, after everything was done and offroading a few times we had to re-adjust the leaves and move the axel forward and then adjust everything else like the steering box.

Also, if your truck is your DD then say goodbye to on road comfort. My lesson from that experience is that it's best to just buy a beater to 4x and if you do damage it then so be it. 4x-ing is expensive and you always break stuff and it wears out your truck big time if you're doing it say every weekend. I personally would buy a Wrangler for cheap and build it up. You won't need much to get those things to become 4xing monsters; good tires, maybe 3-4" lift, stronger axel with locker and call it done.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for a ZJ (93-98 G. Cherokee.) You can find them pretty cheap and with a V8 as well. Research a Front to Rear swap. It involves swapping your front springs to the rear, getting lifted coils for the front, shocks and tires. It'll lift the rig about 3.5'' and it's really cheap. Like all Jeeps if its time, solid axles, the 5.2 is a solid engine, and they're still comfortable on and off road. Added bonus: There are TONS of dead ZJ's in the junkyards to pick and pull from so finding parts shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd definitely go the jeep route. There are lots of trails I can't hit here in CO because the truck is simply too big for the tighter turns or narrow shelf roads. Plus it's much more fun to 4x4 when you know it's not going to break the bank if you roll it or dent it up.

Orrrrr... for more fun, just pick up a couple motos with some ramps and tie-downs for your truck.

Last edited by thump; 06-03-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my opinion, got for a 99 XJ (Cherokee). To lift them is easy, 3" lift you can run 31's, 33's if you do some fender trimming. the 99's come stock most of the time with the 231 Transfer Case which is a great case and will last you a long time. Do not get the all wheel drive ones, the T/C is not as strong. Also with the 99's the have the 8.25 rear end and the dana 30 front. You can get a power trax locker for the rear and have a very good wheeling machine. The down fall is they are a c-clip design rear end and have been known to have a c-clip fall out on the trail. A major pain in the ***** to fix in the middle of a snow storm at 12k feet let me tell you.
A 3" lift from Rusty's can run you around 350. Once you start going higher, things start getting more expensive. Lower Control arms, Slip Yoke Eliminators, drive shafts, lang arm kits, the world is the limit. Very fun Jeep to have i owned one for many years, and dumped a lot of money into them.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
SoCal Thread Shredder

my friend just texted me and he said he has a 1992 jeep cherokee 4x4 with the 4.0 v6...he said he has it for sticktly off roading only and freaken loves it!! i will be looking on craigslist and see where i can find one but which would be better a wrangler or cherokee...for any off roading and maybe small rock climbing
Old 06-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Mods are Addictive

Jeep! Wheel the jeep, keep your truck as your tow rig! See Sig.

Quick Reply: SAS VS. Jeep