Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Safety First

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Safety First

I had a bit of a problem the other day. I was parked in the driveway and for some reason my wife parked right behind me and i backed into her car. Not too bad just my hitch hit her car. However she was upset and wants to get me a camera for my truck that comes up on my monitor when put in reverse. Has anyone ever bought one? If so whats a good brand and how hard was the install?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 AM

"morning Nharmswhey,

sorry to hear that you backed into your Mrs car. That sucks. But hey! Your gonna get a back up camera son! Whoo hoo!

I purchased mine at Costo, $85.00 with tax. I am a bit of a dummy and I took it to the dealer to install it for me. That cost me an extra $125.00, but I really liked the job they did for me.

Alot of folks were bitchin that the cheaper camera would get moisture damage. I put some thought into that... I read the posts and they all said the same thing. "when I took my vehicle to the car wash" That is what tipped me off. The car wash uses high pressue to blow the dirt off your vehicle. Alls you need is a plastic bag to protect your camera before you put it thru the car wash. I had a Glad Bag, freezer bag, it is heavier plastic, and a bungie cord. Before I went thru, I would surround the camera in the plastic freezer bag and put the bungie cord to hold it in place. The camera is made to get rain and indirect moisture on it. I guess they mean spray from when you are driving in the rain. But it is NOT to be submersed in water.

So taking it to a mud bog is OUT!

It survived my Canadian winter.

Mitch
Attached Thumbnails Safety First-r021-back-up-camera.jpg   Safety First-r023-back-up-tv.jpg   Safety First-r022-tv-fixed-windshield.jpg   Safety First-r025-you-can-see-daylight.jpg  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:15 AM

Mitch,
I have the same exact one I think. Wireless right? How's the reception in the cab? Mine's so so at best. I'm probably going to add a little more cable (and an antenna) to the micro coax off the camera.

Originally Posted by Mister Mitch
"morning Nharmswhey,

sorry to hear that you backed into your Mrs car. That sucks. But hey! Your gonna get a back up camera son! Whoo hoo!

I purchased mine at Costo, $85.00 with tax. I am a bit of a dummy and I took it to the dealer to install it for me. That cost me an extra $125.00, but I really liked the job they did for me.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:00 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that Harm.

Mitch's way seems great if you have a screen like his on the dash. Since you have an in-dash like me I would recommend checking out www.Crutchfield.com and since you have the Pioneer in-dash I KNOW that they will have a camera for you. Their prices might be a little high from what I can remember but they'll include VERY detailed instructions on how to wire it up and if you have any questions you can call their technical department 24/7.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a $20 coupon for items over $200 at crutchfield (and I get $20 too ) pm me if you're interested.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Hobie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So that one you bought from Costco works pretty good MisterMitch? I work at there and have been wonderin if they are any good or not cause I back into anything and everything lol
Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 AM

'morning folks,

OK, the Costo and Canadian Tire back up camera systems are fine. It will show you that you are about to smack into something.

From what I read, you want to get a camera that has a larger fish eye. Something with 110 degrees or better. From what I read, the larger the number the better. But larger the number also tends to equal more $$$.

The camera system that I purchase, gave about 70 degrees. This meant that what ever was in the camera's view, was just about exactly as you would see it if you are looking backwards. The downfall to this... no depth perception. That is why you will notice that my camera was pointed slightly downwards. If someone's bumper was in the middle of the screen, I knew to stop or I was about to bump it. At 70 degrees, there is no depth perception.

I will admit, since it is wireless, there was a few interesting things that would show on the camera from time to time. You could tell who has wireless cameras monitoring their yards. I seen my truck drive past someone's house on the TV screen.

I had mine wired so that the TV was on all the time, but didn't turn the camera on till it was put in reverse. No, you didn't notice the TV was on at night. There was a red LED to show that the power was on to the TV, but that was it. I considered covering that red LED with electrical tape.

Also, you will notice in one of the photos, my rear view mirror. I had purchased this from Canadian Tire. It is called "The Lane Changer" mirror. It cost $14.00. I have installed it in 3 vehicles so far. It is an oval mirror that gives better side view without doing a shoulder check, by just looking up at your rear view mirror. You can see into the bed of the truck too. This mirror is great if you got kids.

The only other downfall. It is the camera housing. It is water resistant. That means that the manufacturer does not guarantee that water will never enter the housing. Each blog that I visiting in my search for cameras always had the person bitchin about the camera getting fogged up after being in the car wash. The high pressure wash would get water into the camera.

Now, a professional grade camera will not get water inside it. I suspect that you would be able to back your truck into the water while launching your water craft and it would still work underwater.

Also, the new trucks have the TV built right into the rear view mirror. Now that is hard core! I am going to get that next truck, no matter what! Either that, or the NAV TV built into the dash doubles and a rear view TV system.

We will see what "future truck" has to offer...

Mitch

Quick Reply: Safety First