Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rust and Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rust and Exhaust question

Hello everyone, I got two questions and instead of making two threads I thought it'll be better just to make one.
First question is I have some rust on my Driver side step bar at the very tip. I already sanded it down some and believe I got must of it, however I was thinking if I should sand the whole step bar and just paint the whole thing (( Except for the rubber piece )) so it is all matching. Any idea's on this would be helpful

My second question is I'm currently running a Magnaflow muffler
(( http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=4193 ))
And I would really like if I had the dual exhaust on both sides (( Similar to the 2000 Mustang Cobra Type R )) and wanted to know if I buy another exhaust like my current one if I'd be able to hook it up to run out on the other side (( Of course I would have to get a X pipe to replace the existing Y pipe ))

Last edited by 04F150FX4; 08-17-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures of the rust: Sorry if they are big, just wanted to make it so you can see clearly.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It's going to be impossible to "spot match" the paint, so figure on painting the entire step. I repainted mine (masked off the rubber step pad) using Krylon black in a rattle can. Be sure to sand the rust to metal, then apply some of the liquid "rust gone" (comes in a small bottle; you apply with a brush). You'll find this stuff at any parts store by the body repair section. It turns rust/bare metal into a primable metal surface, ready for paint. Prime that small section first, then spray the entire step black.

Quick Reply: Rust and Exhaust question