Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Runs great until warm??? Then dies under load.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Converted Ford Lover

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Runs great until warm??? Then dies under load.

I have a problem I can't seem to fix. When I start my truck when its cold it runs great. it idles at about 750 rpm. When the temp guage goes up, the idle begins to drop. After the truck reaches normal operating temp it idles just over 500 rpm and when you put it in gear it dies, or almost dies. I have had the battery out, does it need reset?

I have a 2007 f150 4x4 with a 5.4 flex fuel. 118,000 miles. I have changed the fuel filter, plugs, checked the coil packs, cam sensors, and crank sensor. I have also checked all the wiring from each of those connectors back to the computer connector. All wires are ok and have not grounded out. I have cleaned the maf and the throttle body with the appropriate cleaners. new air filter, and recently changed the engine and tranny oil.

I am stuck on where to go from here.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Converted Ford Lover

Default any ideas??? anyone???

I found that my battery had been damaged before. Some one had repaired it with some kind of putty. It doesn't seem to be leaking, but you can clearly see where it had leaked before. Had to do some cleanup, remove the battery and tray, washer tank, and clean all the spots where the paint had been eaten away. I primed, repainted, and re-assembled. I checked all the wires and connectors on that side and everything checks out perfect.

My question now is could a weaker battery cause this problem? doesn't seem likely to me but thought I would ask. The truck cranks fine and the voltage at the battery during idle is about 14.2. What kind of amps should my battery be pulling from the system while it is running? Maybe the battery is pulling to much current away from other things?

I will try another battery since this one has a putty covered hole in it anyway.

If anyone has any other ideas please throw them out there. Nothing would seem too crazy to me at this point.

The engine computer is right beside the battery. It shows no signs of battery acid damage on the outside, but who knows. My question is if I were to try to replace this with a used or new one, what do I need to do to make that work. Do I need to have the new one flashed at the dealer? Do they need to reprogram the computer and the pats to work together? Will it work if I buy a used one and just plug it in to mine without doing anything??

I will post the results of the new battery. I am not holding my breath on this one.

Any one near central Ohio that is really good with these trucks and wants to make some money let me know. I cant afford to go to the shop right now, but it might end up there soon anyway. If anyone is interested I have the truck in a heated garage and all the tools that would be needed.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Converted Ford Lover

Default no one, really????

any suggestions???

Put in the new battery, no change. Also replace the power steering pump, my old one had end play in the shaft of over 1/4".

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you try to reset the computer by taking off the neg for a few min and then after reattaching the the computer "relearn"? ...the process goes something like.... let idle in park for 3 min, put in drive and hold it there for 3 min, let idle in neutral for 3 min.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Converted Ford Lover

I tried something like that. I read on another thread that you had to engage the parking brake, then at normal operating temp let it idle for 1 min. After that turn on the a/c and let it idle for 1 min. Then drive it for 10 min. and that will relearn the idle.

I don't know if that was the right procedure. I will try what you suggested and post up the results later today.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Something to try....

I have an 04 150 Super Crew and I had been having some major vibration problems. Mine did the same as far as it would run great before it got up to temp. I replaced my throttle body and cleaned MAF and things and still had the problem.
I wound up taking it into for to have the update the PCM they gave me a decent deal and did it for $66. My PCM was way out of date and there had been an update specifically for my problem, along with 7 others. Any way that has seamed to have fixed the problems that I was having with it. It has way more power and runs smooth like it is suppose to.
Trying calling Ford and seeing if there is an update for your truck, and that might be what you need since it seems that you have done everything else.

good luck.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Converted Ford Lover

GOT SOME CODES

Tried what Stone Drinker suggested, but it didn't help.

Does anyone know if the dealership can test the pcm off of the truck??

A frien with a snap-on solus scanner also tried to help me. The scanner kept saying unable to complete scan. We tried it 4 times. Not sure what that means.

I drove it up the driveway today. I was afraid it wouldn't make it back into the garage it was running so rough. It ended up throwing 6 codes p0340, p0344, p0345, p0012, p0022, p2186.
cam position sensor circuits, timing over retarded on both banks, o2 sensor stuck rich.

Last edited by bjslade0269; 12-12-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Converted Ford Lover

I found out that the computer will have to be programed to work with the pats system. Does anyone know if I could use one of those bypass modules like for a remote start to be able to use another pcm from a junk yard??

I am going to find out tomorrow if the dealer can test my pcm to see if it is bad. I assume they will need the whole truck for this.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Converted Ford Lover

drivers side cat was plugged. changed that out but it still runs like crap. Going to check the injectors next.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow what a problem....is there anythin you havent tried yet..geez

Quick Reply: Runs great until warm??? Then dies under load.