Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rough country lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rough country lift

im about to get the rough country 6" lift for my truck from amazon
http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-sus...it-576-20.html
just wanted to get opinions on the lift from people who have it or suggestions on other maybe better kits around the same price
Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got the same lift on mine. It's been on for a little over 2 years and roughly 40K miles. My 4x4 has been starting to have an issue with popping loudly and binding up here recently and I'm not sure if it's from this lift or not. I've read some stuff about the RCX and Zone lifts causing 4x4 issues, but I really don't know how much truth there is to that vs. buying one of the higher priced lifts. I've got a ford mechanic helping me with some other work this weekend and I'm going to ask him about it and see what he thinks the issue with my 4x4 is, and what might have caused it. Just my $.02...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just my thoughts and .02.. A good tattoo isn't cheap, and a cheap tattoo isn't good. I am not rich by any means and wanted a lift on my truck. I thought about the zone, and rough country, but they looked ummm..... not as stout as the BDS?... I waited until I could get the one I thought might be a little bit better quality, just because my kids ride in the truck with me.. Again, just my thoughts and opinion.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love mine. Had it on the truck for 2 months and I've used the heck out of it. It's taken a beaten the last couple of weekends.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the RCX kit also for just over 10k miles and my 4x4 was popping too but that was because some of my bolts were loose but that was the mechanics error not the kit and the guy replaced the joints on the front drive shaft and had it rebalanced and works great, no more popping. As far as quality I asked the mechanic what the difference was and he told me they were basically all the same quality some just use a coil over instead of a spacer. He specializes in lifts, been doing it for 20+ years and has worked with every kit just in case there's a guy out there who would question his knowledge and opinions on the kits.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wfar1512
I have the RCX kit also for just over 10k miles and my 4x4 was popping too but that was because some of my bolts were loose but that was the mechanics error not the kit and the guy replaced the joints on the front drive shaft and had it rebalanced and works great, no more popping. As far as quality I asked the mechanic what the difference was and he told me they were basically all the same quality some just use a coil over instead of a spacer. He specializes in lifts, been doing it for 20+ years and has worked with every kit just in case there's a guy out there who would question his knowledge and opinions on the kits.
I put my lift on myself with the help of a buddy. I also had issues at first with pretty much every bolt needing to be checked and torqued down again. I was getting all kinds of noises from bolts starting to loosen, but once I hit them all again, the creaks and noises went away. I recall there being a warning included with the lift instructions that said if you experienced a vibration when using 4wd, that you needed to do something to the front drive shaft (rotate it or rebalance it, something to that nature). I've never had the vibration issue that it mentioned, but I've had popping/binding issues like crazy. They didn't happen at first, but I've got 40k on the lift now and it's pretty bad. Like I mentioned in my last post, not sure if what I'm experiencing is cause by the lift, but I'm going to get a ford mechanics opinion on it this weekend to see what he thinks.

The only question I would have about the RCX lift, and I'm not sure if the Zone lifts are the same, but since it's not a true 6" lift, would it cause any issues with that angles it creates in the suspension. I eliminated the strut spacer in my setup by installing 6" lift Bilsteins, so in theory, I have a 5-5.5" lift with 6" struts, so it's almost like having a small .5-1" spacer installed. I wouldn't think this would cause any harm, but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We have sold several of these and Have not gotten any sort of negative feedback on them. My only question is WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOUR GETTING IT FROM AMAZON?!?!?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris@Stage3
We have sold several of these and Have not gotten any sort of negative feedback on them. My only question is WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOUR GETTING IT FROM AMAZON?!?!?
They are currently sold out on the rough country website
Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

The only thing on mine is there's a clamp on the passenger side that rubs on my strut at a full right turn and the angle on my steering rack is almost maxed out, so I'm not sure if a different kit will solve this issue or not
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CerealKiller
They are currently sold out on the rough country website
let me know when you are ready I MAY have a warehouse with one in stock?? I can certainly check on it for you

Quick Reply: Rough country lift