Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Roof Rack Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Roof Rack Ideas

I want to mount a roof rack to my 2004 Lariat. I refuse to drill into the roof and the thule and yakima feet and load bars just seem outrageous. Does anyone have any ideas on another way to mount it? Does anyone have any experience with the "universal" roof mounted cross bars?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont have a tonneau cover, the Yakima Bed mounts (yakima outdoorsman 300) are absolutely amazing alternatives vs traditional roof mount solutions, one for the front of the bed, one for the back and you can still put 2 dirtbikes in the bed underneath em! Ask me how i know
other than that the "feet" are really the only option (i assume you mean the goofy ones that rest under the door rubber?)
Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I really want it over the roof, not the bed. I'm afraid the feet the sit right over the door and hook under the door rubber is going to be my only option.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

a cheap set of full ladder racks would get your stuff over the roof. They are cheap on craigslist and can be removed too. Plus they have a better resale value
Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dereku
a cheap set of full ladder racks would get your stuff over the roof. They are cheap on craigslist and can be removed too. Plus they have a better resale value
X2. i just bought a used ladder rack off CL for 125. it has the extension that goes over the cab, metal cargo rack basket going on that.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Any pictures
Old 10-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Zack AKA Doctor guy

Hey man I'm also interested so I took the initiative and went with buying the yakima megawarrior, I don't have any pics yet of it cause I'm waiting for everything to come in so I can install all at once but I did make some changes to the rack by taking out 3 interior bars so I can still use my moonroof. But I do plan on wiring 6 lights up there as well as my megaphone for my pa.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CKing
I want to mount a roof rack to my 2004 Lariat. I refuse to drill into the roof and the thule and yakima feet and load bars just seem outrageous. Does anyone have any ideas on another way to mount it? Does anyone have any experience with the "universal" roof mounted cross bars?
Just drill it if you want a rack on the roof. Without old school gutters, its the only way. Plenty of other alternatives besides the roof, but you seem to want it there. Just silicone the holes before you put the screws in. If you ever want to remove it, take it off and put the screws and their covers back in the holes.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CKing
Take a set of racks off of a expedition from the junk yard and cut them to fit. I painted mine white. Then I used 3m double sided tape to mount them down. They have stayed up there good for 3 months or so. I didnt want to drill into my roof either thats why I went with the factory ones.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shescountry
Take a set of racks off of a expedition from the junk yard and cut them to fit. I painted mine white. Then I used 3m double sided tape to mount them down. They have stayed up there good for 3 months or so. I didnt want to drill into my roof either thats why I went with the factory ones.
Are you saying that on an Expedition, the racks are only secured using double sided tape? I used to mount a huge roof carrier on our Expedition EL factory rack for vacation.... I'd have been nervous knowing that.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Ideas