Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ride height adjustable struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ride height adjustable struts

Is it ok to put ride height adjustable struts on a lifted truck? Or would it be better to get oem struts with the lift kit? Thanks!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think adjustables are find I believe people get a 6 inch lift then add a 1-3 inch adjustable to achieve up to a 8 inch lift
Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 PM
River Rat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So for example, I have a 6" zone lift and some worn out front struts. I could replace them with adjustable struts to add another 2"? And then just add an add-a-leaf in the rear for a total of 8" lift? I was under the impression from a friend of mine that I couldn't use that method to get an extra 2" of lift
Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BassMaster4
So for example, I have a 6" zone lift and some worn out front struts. I could replace them with adjustable struts to add another 2"? And then just add an add-a-leaf in the rear for a total of 8" lift? I was under the impression from a friend of mine that I couldn't use that method to get an extra 2" of lift
I mean I may be wrong here but I could of sworn that some people have done this because I'm also wanting to lift my truck 6 inches them using a adjustable shock to give me a little more hight lets see if someone jump in with this set up or if other people have the answer for us
Old 03-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Proud F150 Owner!

You can most certainly do that. However take into consideration that your UCA angles are going to be rather harsh, and with the bigger tires there will be added stress on them. If you do that I'd recommend some uni ball UCA's. But the cost of them plus the cost of adjustable struts makes the whole idea kind of unjustifiable to me. I've considered doing the same thing with my BDS 6" lift, because it retains factory angles and has a bit of a rake to it. I was going to add adjustable struts to the front to level the look, however I can't reason with spending that much money to do so and put all that extra stress on my UCA's. I'll live with the rake.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did see where the pro comp adjustable front shocks recommended running the shocks at stock height if you had a lift kit, so I guess that kind of sums it up. Probably feasible, just not a good idea.

Quick Reply: Ride height adjustable struts