Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Reverse slow to engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reverse slow to engage

Hello all I'm new here and have found a problem with my truck that I cannot seem to find an answer for. My truck is a 2004 f-150 xlt 4x4 with a 5.4.

I have been noticing in the morning as I back out of my driveway it takes a second for reverse to engage. Usually I select the reverse gear and about 2-3 seconds it makes a very quiet noise like its shifting from park to reverse and I feel it in the brake pedal like its supposed to be. I have just noticed lately it takes a little bit of time to engage and then today I stopped at the store on my way home. When I was ready to back out of my parking spot it wouldn't go into reverse. I put it back into park and then back to reverse and still nothing. Finally I ran it down into 1st and back to reverse and just like nothing was wrong it engaged and backed up normal.

I'm the original owner the truck less than 60,000 miles on it all of which are very easy driving. I have never been hard on this truck and take very good care of it. I don't see how it could be broken or worn out at this point. Has anyone had this problem and or know what the fix is?
Old 07-16-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I hate to tell you this but our trucks have an issue with the reverse band in the transmission. If caught early a good shop can replace just the band but in my case there was significant wear in the drum as well. A complete rebuild was needed.

Get to a GOOD transmission shop. Any reputable trans shop will be aware of the issue.

Good luck and get it looked at before it gets worse.

Quick Reply: Reverse slow to engage