Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

reverse/parking sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default reverse/parking sensor problem

My '06 F150 has factory parking sensors in the rear that are supposed to beep when close to something (6' I think).

A few months ago I was having an issue with them not working at all. I replaced one sensor myself and still had the issue so I took it to a dealer and they replaced two more sensors.

It was all good for about 2 months and then for some reason the sensors started beeping whenever the truck was put in reverse.

On Monday I took it to the dealer again and they cleaned the terminals on the sensors and supposedly that fixed it. It didnt. The first time I put the truck in reverse it beeped.

Today I took it to the dealer again. This time they replaced the 4th sensor (only one that wasnt already new). The first time I backed up there wasnt any beeping but every time after that it beeped. Of course I picked it up after the dealer closed (paid for it earlier today but didnt have a ride until later).

Theres now 4 new sensors and Im out $800+. Each sensor is $140+ and then theres labor.

What could be the issue? Its highly annoying.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJB
What could be the issue? Its highly annoying.
Good Lord!!

I would stop replacing sensors! If all 4 sensors have been replaced and the problem still remains it must be something different. I hope you saved the 'faulty' sensors...

Because you already took it to Ford, I would stick with them and make them fix it - at little or no cost to you. Something tells me they wont continue to fix it at no cost and I would raise hell and make them 'buy back' the false-positive sensors.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
PJB

They never gave me the old sensors. I replaced one myself because I broke it while cleaning the connections before I took it to the dealer the first time. It was fine for 2 months so I thought that having the dealer replace the 2 other sensors fixed it for good. Then out of nowhere it started having an issue again. I know they didnt put much effort into it on Monday because they never removed the Edge tuner from the OBD-2 plug like they wouldve needed to do to scan the system. I know it wasnt unplugged because when its unplugged the mpg goes up and down until its driven a bit.
Today they scanned it and found an issue with the 4th sensor and supposedly it fixed the issue, or so they said.

My truck has never been in an accident so its not from something like that.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine are completely corroded by salt and are now inoperative. But I did get used to having them and now i'm used to not having them lol. For the price to get them fixed its not worth it for me. Now to potentially answer your question these sensors will turn off automaticaly if one is bad electricaly and you can probably hear one audible beep in the cab once you put it in reverse and then nothing, and then your off switch will illuminate. If they are visually obstructed by debris they will beep constantly.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 PM
PJB

The previous issue was them turning off. Theres nothing blocking the sensors now. Stock truck, stock height, stock bumper, etc too.

I got real used to having them and theyre great for tight parking lots.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 AM
PJB

I took it to the dealer again this morning but apparently all of their techs with half a brain have the day off and nobody there can scan the system so Ive gotta drop it off again on Monday.

The weird thing is that I couldnt get them to go off in the dealer's lot but when I went to the shopping center next door they went off as soon as I put the truck in reverse. Maybe something to do with the dealer's radio frequency (alarms, employee radio things) or something?
Old 01-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Similar problem on mine - best way to diagnose is to apply your parking brake/or chock tires. Turn the ignition to on position(too much noise if engine is running), and put it in reverse. Put your ear to each sensor, and you should hear a pretty noticeable ticking sound coming from each sensor. If one sensor is really quiet, or makes no noise at all, you have a bad sensor or connection.

I ordered one new sensor from ford, it was a dud. Second one worked great. Shortly after another one went on me - ended up ordering 2 new ones off eBay for $50, and I've been back up and running great for 6 months now.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
PJB

Ill have to try that.

The dealer said theyd look at it on Monday and give me a ride to work though. Im hoping they can fix it.

Quick Reply: reverse/parking sensor problem