Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Reverse parking aid not working - light won't turn off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Reverse parking aid not working - light won't turn off.

Looking for some troubleshooting ideas here. My reverse parking button will not turn back on - it is constantly lit up (meaning it is turned off).

I have listened to each of the 4 sensors on the back, and they all click, so it does appear that they are working.

Should the reverse parking sensor button 'click' noticeably when you push it? Mine makes a noise of sorts, but it is not a solid on/off click (thinking of an old school remote control...for those in the over 40 crowd like me).

Could it be the speaker itself?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

My first suspect would be the switch itself.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
My first suspect would be the switch itself.
Any thoughts on how to test it?

Incidentally, I just asked a buddy of mine who has a very similar truck, and he explained how that switch works. You can turn it off 1 time, but as soon as you are done backing up, it resets itself automatically.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

There are some posts on other forums (which I won't name) concerning this. Apparently, the light will stay on if a fault is detected in the sensors, the speaker, or the module itself. Since the sensors are ckicking, it sounds like either the speaker or the module. They're located above the parking brake. If I had to guess, I'd say the module is the problem. The switch isn't a true on/off switch. Instead it sends a message to the module to turn the PAM on or off.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by lewissa81
There are some posts on other forums (which I won't name) concerning this. Apparently, the light will stay on if a fault is detected in the sensors, the speaker, or the module itself. Since the sensors are ckicking, it sounds like either the speaker or the module. They're located above the parking brake. If I had to guess, I'd say the module is the problem. The switch isn't a true on/off switch. Instead it sends a message to the module to turn the PAM on or off.
After reading this post and rethinking it, this is probably the correct answer.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep updated! I would love to hear what you did to fix this because I have an 06 Lariat that is having a similar problem but the system will cut in and out of working. I made it a habit to look at the parking aid light because it will usually come out every once in awhile when I turn the truck on. That being said, hope you figure out what is going on!
Old 01-26-2023, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't usually post things but couldn't find any info on the location of the speaker for 04 to 08 f150 but found this diagram. Left kick panel.

Quick Reply: Reverse parking aid not working - light won't turn off.