Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacing rear diff, traction bars?(preventative mods maint tips?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing rear diff, traction bars?(preventative mods maint tips?)

Howdy.
I'm on my third truck 2nd f150, and on all trucks ended up swapping rear ends. My latest is a 4x which is a new luxury/issue for me. I've got a salvage rear diff, same gears 3.73 and axle 9.75 en route.. I'm trying to figure out if there are any way to mod/maintain to keep things going proper and or better. I have a 2.5 billstein in front and stock at rear right now . Also wanting to drop the rear and inch or two mainly because I don't love the stance or rake and like the look oc the slightly lower almost tuckin mud tire look. (Hey I'm from cali. Been looking into traction bars. I do a lot of trailer towing/ heavy truck loads and both off road in desert and mountains. I feel like I've lost power and stressing the truck out. Any tips or ideas? As far as the traction bars go, will it help prolong the diff life? Or just look funky? From what I've read the bar mounted below rear leafs is what gives the geometry to do the job of pushing down for power/traction? I dislike the look and feel it would get stuck on things or broken by rocks etc... I am also planning on (slowly) rebuilding my current failing rear diff and regearing possibly. After much homework and advice etc. I'm not a mechanic type really. But in the last year I've been diving deeper and beyond brakes and oil and such. It's very challenging for me and seems it's all very complicated and not amazing design. A if they obviously want you to take truck to dealer for anything. But F that. I'm trying to learn and do as much possible with my own hands. So to end ramble, any ideas regarding traction bars and if I can help my situation without having some monstrous in the way object? I'd like to mount a traction bar at top of leafs in a sortof horizontal fashion. But as a structural designer/builder I know strength is in the triangle ..., thx in advance for any thoughts ideas info/advice/constructive criticism..
-Matt
Old 04-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Addition . I believe what I'm going for in thoughts of traction bar is to stabilize the rear end. With my 35" nitto m/t's which are heavy beasts I'm getting axle wrap? And also off road going through or over bumps or dips the rear flexes articulates dramatically and creates stress / movement at the pinion/yoke axles/ driveshaft? I obviously am no expert in the field . But I'm trying to figure things out.. Thanks for reading.

Quick Reply: Replacing rear diff, traction bars?(preventative mods maint tips?)