Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacing OEM head unit and have a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing OEM head unit and have a question

Hi everyone! I have looked through the sticky threads for the past few days specifically the Audio Basics one, but can't find a definitive answer to my question. Hoping someone could answer a question for me before I go crazy from looking for it! I have a 2005 F150 King Ranch Super Crew that I am replacing the OEM head unit it in. It have finally had enough of it since it will not eject or load cds for me. I have 6 stuck in there currently. I purchased a JVC KW-R910BT to install and ordered all the necessary parts to install it( Big thanks to the Audio Basics Thread!!!). My question now is do I need an antenna adapter for the off market head unit or will it plug in to my current one just fine? When I loaded up my cart at Crutchfield it did not include one as part of the installation parts. Just want to make sure I have everything I need before I start taking out the old unit this weekend. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the information on this site! It has been so helpful whenever I had a question about my truck!!!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I replaced my factory head unit with a new avh-p4400, it did not require any antenna adapter - you should be fine.
The following users liked this post:
Mom25Boys (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Thanks so much!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mom25Boys
Hi everyone! I have looked through the sticky threads for the past few days specifically the Audio Basics one, but can't find a definitive answer to my question. Hoping someone could answer a question for me before I go crazy from looking for it! I have a 2005 F150 King Ranch Super Crew that I am replacing the OEM head unit it in. It have finally had enough of it since it will not eject or load cds for me. I have 6 stuck in there currently. I purchased a JVC KW-R910BT to install and ordered all the necessary parts to install it( Big thanks to the Audio Basics Thread!!!). My question now is do I need an antenna adapter for the off market head unit or will it plug in to my current one just fine? When I loaded up my cart at Crutchfield it did not include one as part of the installation parts. Just want to make sure I have everything I need before I start taking out the old unit this weekend. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the information on this site! It has been so helpful whenever I had a question about my truck!!!
should be alright but just double check with jvc on there website because some models are based for gm vechicles and have a smaller antenna hookup but if your getting a double din unit you should be alright i habe a pioneer avh-100dvd and it worked fine with the factory antenna
Mom25Boys (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Sometime in late 2006, Ford started using a different style antenna end (that plugs into the radio). An adapter can be purchased from any stereo install shop for under 15 bucks if you have a radio that requires this type of plug, so no worries.
Mom25Boys (06-03-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 PM

Could someone please chime in and help! I have the OEM head unit out and I just noticed that the new head unit only has 2 harness slots on the back and the antenna. My original has 3 harnesses? What is the 3rd harness for and what do I need to do to fix it??? Please!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine had 3 plugs also. I think the third plug is for a factory amp/sub woofer. Probably located under your rear seat on the drivers side. Your new unit will work with just using 2 plugs but you will lose the factory amp.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:09 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,598 Likes on 6,203 Posts

I need to know to use the existing aux plug on the top of my dash with my new Pioneer AVX-2600BT.....sorry to hijack, but the other threads are dead.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:30 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Summers22
I need to know to use the existing aux plug on the top of my dash with my new Pioneer AVX-2600BT.....sorry to hijack, but the other threads are dead.
You'll need to contact Pioneer's customer support to find out how/if this can be done. Your installation instructions should have an email or phone number. Or Google it.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Summers22
Summers,
Ill show you what I did for mine. Doesn't reuse the jack itself, but is a pretty good alternative. I popped the existing aux jack out of there, and threaded a new cord through the hole to the back of my receiver. When not in use, i push the slacked cable back into the hole so it stays out of sight. It looks pretty clean in my opinion.
Hope it helps!

Quick Reply: Replacing OEM head unit and have a question