Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacing cigarette lighter with usb outlet in 2006 Screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing cigarette lighter with usb outlet in 2006 Screw

Hi everyone, this is my first post so be gentle with me.

I recently purchased my truck (the first I've owned) and have fallen in love with it, sad to say i spend a good chunk of my down time thinking about stuff I can do with it haha.

Anyways, I've spent the last couple of days searching and browsing the forum for info on my first little project. But I don't have enough info to feel comfortable going ahead with it just yet.

I'd like to install a blue sea pn1016 dual usb in the spot my cigarette lighter is currently in. I'm aware the lighter connection is always hot so I'd like to figure a way to connect it up so it's only on when the ignition is on. Is this feasible for a rookie? If so, it'd be great if someone could give me tips on how to do this, which wires to use, etc.

I found a couple of threads showing how to install the fixture, but none described how to make it only live when ignition is on.

Thanks for your time, and thanks also for this wonderful resource. In the short time I've been visiting I've learned a lot.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by cornishrefugee
Hi everyone, this is my first post so be gentle with me.

I recently purchased my truck (the first I've owned) and have fallen in love with it, sad to say i spend a good chunk of my down time thinking about stuff I can do with it haha.

Anyways, I've spent the last couple of days searching and browsing the forum for info on my first little project. But I don't have enough info to feel comfortable going ahead with it just yet.

I'd like to install a blue sea pn1016 dual usb in the spot my cigarette lighter is currently in. I'm aware the lighter connection is always hot so I'd like to figure a way to connect it up so it's only on when the ignition is on. Is this feasible for a rookie? If so, it'd be great if someone could give me tips on how to do this, which wires to use, etc.

I found a couple of threads showing how to install the fixture, but none described how to make it only live when ignition is on.

Thanks for your time, and thanks also for this wonderful resource. In the short time I've been visiting I've learned a lot.
Why? Just get an adapter for under $5 and plug and play? Unless you leave truck without driving for days, it will be fine....
Old 09-28-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
Why? Just get an adapter for under $5 and plug and play? Unless you leave truck without driving for days, it will be fine....
It's a fair point but I've been doing the usb adapter thing for years now with my last car. I want something that looks good and is permanent. I'm **** for things looking right and have always felt it was a bit half assed having to use an extra adapter when I could install something that would look better.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

It's a fair point but I've been doing the usb adapter thing for years now with my last car. I want something that looks good and is permanent. I'm **** for things looking right and have always felt it was a bit half assed having to use an extra adapter when I could install something that would look better.
Get a test light and probe some fuses in the fuse panel. The cig lighter is tied to the OBD2 port, so of all the connections to mess with it's probably the only one you really shouldn't.

I believe I'm running my boost and wideband 02 gauges off of fuse position 18 with an add A fuse.. It's an ignition hot circuit and will give you your desired effect.. Drill a hole next to the cig lighter and add you USB hub to it's its own dedicated circuit from an Add A Fuse.
The following users liked this post:
cornishrefugee (09-28-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Get a test light and probe some fuses in the fuse panel. The cig lighter is tied to the OBD2 port, so of all the connections to mess with it's probably the only one you really shouldn't.

I believe I'm running my boost and wideband 02 gauges off of fuse position 18 with an add A fuse.. It's an ignition hot circuit and will give you your desired effect.. Drill a hole next to the cig lighter and add you USB hub to it's its own dedicated circuit from an Add A Fuse.
Thanks for your response. I've been reading about the Add A Fuse method, definitely will take that route now you've mentioned it also. Any suggestions on what kind of wire I should be using?
Old 09-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks for your response. I've been reading about the Add A Fuse method, definitely will take that route now you've mentioned it also. Any suggestions on what kind of wire I should be using?
20 - 22 gauge is what I used. I made 2 power leads off of 1 add a fuse to separate the 2 gauges..

Replacing cigarette lighter with usb outlet in 2006 Screw-image-3645072735.jpg

I also grounded the gauges on a bolt behind the fuse panel.. There is plenty of grounds back there..
Old 09-28-2014, 12:55 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I did this to mine. Replaced my one in the dash and one in rear of the center console. I put mine to constant so if my phones dead I can leave it plugged in. Not gonna draw enough to kill the battery.

Quick Reply: Replacing cigarette lighter with usb outlet in 2006 Screw