Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacing broken ignition coil harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing broken ignition coil harness

I have a 2004 Ford F150 (5.4L) and the tab broke off the wiring harness for an ignition coil. So now, it won't latch on properly and with normal driving conditions, it's bound to wiggle enough to cause a misfire. I went to a good and reliable junkyard in Fredericksburg this weekend and could not find F150s or Expeditions within the same generation. I did however find a few of the previous generation (2000) Expeditions and snipped off a few harnesses. I still have my old ignition coils and they do plug on fine. The two "prongs" are more of a slit where I had to use a paperclip wrapped around my multimeter to get a reading.

Anyway, my question is, am I able to use the older harness as a replacement for my broken one? My multimeter read the original harnesses at .192-.194 (including the broken one). I snipped the broken one off since it's going to be replaced anyway and I put the older harness on and it clocked in at .187. To me it's not much of a difference, but I wanted to get opinions from more experienced mechanics. Otherwise, I'm going to have to search for a new replacement.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I would just push the broken one on the injector and wrap it with electrical tape real good...aint going nowhere. you can buy a new connector at your local auto parts and splice it in...

Quick Reply: Replacing broken ignition coil harness