Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacing Antenna Mount: HELP!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Replacing Antenna Mount: HELP!

OK, so I replaced my OEM antenna with a stubby that broke off inside the mount! %^%$#!

My plan was to simply replace the mount. Apparently I misread another thread that I THOUGHT suggested I could merely unscew the mount from the fender and plug the antenna lead into the new mast from underneath.

NOT QUITE.
The antenna lead, where it connects to the bottom of the mount, is not removeable. There's about 3 feet of antenna lead that has to be threaded thru the inner fender, thru the firewall and behind the passenger side kick panel - THEN it makes a connection there.

The stealership was $150+ for this job - plus the $25 I already paid for the part.

Sooooo - is there any trick to doing this easily? One guy at the dealership suggested cutting the old lead at the mount, taping the new lead to it and trying to thread it thru without removing the inner fender. I'm worried though that there is a rubber gromment about halfway down the lead that obviously plugs a hole of some sort. With my luck I know it will happen, I'll get half the lead pulled thru, the grommet gets stuck and then I'm screwed!

Any way to just remove the broken piece of threaded adapter that's stuck inside the mount?

I don't even listen to the radio that much - mostly my iPod and sat radio, but I like to keep the truck clean and complete.... so any help, advise, suggestons are welcomed. Thanks!
Smokin Lariat View Public Profile Send a private message to Smokin Lariat Send email to Smokin Lariat Find all posts by Smokin Lariat Add Smokin Lariat to Your Contacts
Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

drill and tap the base, or use an easy out.

the worst thing that can happen is it is still screwed up and you have to replace the antenna lead back to the radio

Masking tape all around the base and a steady hand will be your friend
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done a few over the years there really not bad to do remove the tire pull back the inner fender and have someone help you on the inside should only take you an hour,hour/half tops... and yes there is a grommet
good liuck
Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

let me know how you make out with this i am interested in finding out.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Funny how this old world works....

Following my post above I developed two plans...
Plan A - use an easy out (reverse drill bit/screw extractor)... didn't work - broke 3 bits trying to drill a pilot hole.

Plan B - the dealership wanted $150 for this job - pull the tire and wheel, remove the inner fender, snake in the new mount and lead to where it connects behind the glove box. NOT!

But a mechanic there suggested cut the existing lead at the mount atop the fender. Tape the new lead to it, pull it thru, screw on the mount. OK, I'll try that...

Problem is the lead is just long enough so to cut it from under the mount, I needed to pull slack. I pulled the passenger kick panel and dropped the glove box. Right there in front of me is the bright orange lead where it connects. A simple tug and it's loose.

Back to the top of the fender. I give a good tug to the mount - trying to pull some slack forward so I can reach under the mount and cut the old lead... and pow! The old lead comes unplugged right from the bottom of the existing mount. Of course the mount flies out of my hand in all the excitement....

That's the way I was told it could be done but everyone said NOOOOO! Simple, easy.

So the way this should work is:
1) Pop the plastic cover off the antenna mount.
2) Unscrew 3 phillips screws that fasten the mount to the fender.
3) unplug the wire lead from the bottom of the mount. (Caution here - be certain to pre tape a string or some other way of grasping the lead because it is so tight, that when loosened from the mount, it will pop down inside between the outer and inner fenders and you'll have to fish for it.) My next adventure.
4) plug the lead into the bottom of your new mount, reaffix the 3 screws, pop plastic cover back on and screw in the antenna mast. Your done!

Should take all of five minutes - and NO ONE AT THE DEALERSHIP KNOWS THIS?! WORSE, FORD DOES NOT SELL JUST THE MOUNT - WHEN YOU BUY THE $20 PART (MORE ON THAT IN A MOMENT) IT COMES WITH THE NEW LEAD WIRE ATTACHED AND THEY'LL TELL YOU IT DOESN'T COME LOOSE! WTF!

One other caution - be sure you get the right replacement part!

After all of this, I went to install the new mount I bought from the dealership and it won't fit! Doesn't even align properly - they sold me a PN#
4L3T-18A984-A

It is too long on the bottom side and the screw holes don't line up. My part, for my 06 Lariat is a 6L3T-18A984-A

So for anyone else who has or will break off an antenna inside the mount - it's an easy fix, but you gotta move heaven and earth to find out how!

Leaving now to go to the dealership to return 1 wrong part and order the new one.
The following users liked this post:
khodgens (11-14-2016)
Old 01-16-2010, 12:45 AM

One final note... be sure on your part number. Turns out Ford used 2 different antenna mounts on the 06 truck and which one is correct depends on the date of manufacture of your truck.

The PN on the antenna mount is stamped into the metal base. Pop the plastic cover off atop the fender - yes it does just pop on and off - use a thin blade to pry up one side and will pop loose. Careful not to scratch the paint.
The PN will then be visible stamped into the metal antenna mount.

And yes, I had to fish for the wire lead that fell back into the fender but it was easy to find. Come Monday my new, correct antenna mount should be in and this crazy task will be done.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 f150 broken antenna

I had the exact same problem with my antenna. If your still wanting to use your stubby like i was without going thruogh the hassle of relacing anything try this. Go to your local auto parts store personally im a federated or fisher auto parts person if theres a local one and get a pack ob j.b.weld . First grind off just a little of the remaing stud on your stubby .second mix j.b.weld and put in base hole and around stud of stubby. Third put in hole. You as i did will most likely have to tape overtop of stubby down to your truck to hold it down. Let dry overnight and your done . Works great and antenna still picks up great. Worry about replacing your base for later if you ever break mr stubby
Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Squishy Heads

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bro this thread is over a year old.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradseabridge
Bro this thread is over a year old.
So what. Always good to add or update a thread if the info is pertinent. I was looking for info and found it here.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat

1) Pop the plastic cover off the antenna mount.
2) Unscrew 3 phillips screws that fasten the mount to the fender.
3) unplug the wire lead from the bottom of the mount. (Caution here - be certain to pre tape a string or some other way of grasping the lead because it is so tight, that when loosened from the mount, it will pop down inside between the outer and inner fenders and you'll have to fish for it.) My next adventure.
4) plug the lead into the bottom of your new mount, reaffix the 3 screws, pop plastic cover back on and screw in the antenna mast. Your done!

This how I fixed mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Antenna Mount: HELP!