Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacing AC components

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing AC components

Hello guys. Coming to you for intel. Has anyone had their ac system replaced mine has imploded as the tech said and stealership wants my first born and soul to repair/replace it all. Any tips on how to do a condenser, compressor, and accumulator replace by myself? Or should I shop
Around for shops to do it. Can I just replace the parts and just take in for a recharge?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Just buy an ac compressor, an accumulator/drier, and an orifice and swap them out. Then I would recommend taking it to a shop to have a vacuum put on it as well as charge it. You need them to make sure that all of your fittings are tight and sealed, by using the vacuum. I would highly highly recommend buying a set of ratcheting wrenches because of the location of the compressor. It really is a pretty simple job it just takes a few hours. If you need any help let me know.

**EDIT I forgot to mention that you will need a clutch fan removal tool, just rent it from the shop that you buy your parts at. I would also stay away from autozone if I were you. I bought two NEW (not rebuilt) compressors and both wined like a pig after installing them.

Last edited by jb2012; 06-01-2014 at 06:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nukpanna (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did a compressor and drier but not on F150. I bought the whole tool kit to do it at home. I don't trust any mechanic unless I know him/her personally.

It can be done you just have to read and do a little research before jumping on it.
Tool I bought.
Digital scale.
Vacuum pump.
R134a A/C hose kit.
30 LBS R134a refrigerant.

After all the parts are installed. You need to pump the system down for at the least 30 minutes without leak.

Then you charge the system accordingly specs.
But since your system was imploded you may need to flush all the contaminant before charging it.
Nukpanna (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 07:55 PM

Anything I need to know about the other seals? Or is it pretty cut and paste as far as reading a manual for install. What would be the best way to flush out the hoses if there are any debris in them? Do I need a cleaner or can I just blow it out with a air compressor?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What little HVAC work I have done with my girlfriends certified dad he has always flushed out the copper lines in the homes with some special stuff if he we reusing them. So I'm guessing it's the same for your situation.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 AM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I replaced my compressor pretty recently. Here was by far the easiest way:

Remove the breather, engine cover, shroud, and fan
Degrease / clean the engine / compressor (if you want, I did it so **** didn't fall in my eyes during the next step)
Get under the truck and remove anything in the way, i.e. skid plates, if they're in the way
Unbolt all four bolts holding the compressor in - REMEMBER WHICH BOLTS WENT INTO WHICH HOLES as some compressors have more holes than the original (mine did)

Note: The biggest PIA is one of the bolts. Those suckers are LONG and one of them in particular (you'll figure out which one) will be a real pain to take out because one of the brake lines is in the way... you can VERY GENTLY bend the line to give the bolt enough clearance to drop out

After it's all un-bolted, get back up into the engine bay. Follow the hoses that come off the compressor up to where they can disconnect and pull them off.

WARNING: Even after you have your refrigerant evacuated, THERE WILL STILL BE PRESSURE IN THE LINES. When you remove the first hose, keep clear. Consider wearing gloves and safety glasses as you pull it off, just in case.

Use the hose harness assembly to lift the compressor out of the engine bay from the top (it won't hurt it).

Get your new compressor all primed up with the oil it requires
Take the old compressor and clean the hell out of it so that when you take off the hose assembly, no crud gets into the hoses or onto the seals
Swap the harness over to the new compressor BEFORE putting the compressor on
Drop the compressor back into the engine bay from the top using the hoses and bolt it on from underneath

NOTE: If you put the new compressor on BEFORE putting the hoses onto it, good luck with both getting them on from that angle on AND keeping it all clean in the process. If any crap gets into the hoses or compressor, you'll have to replace everything all over again.
Nukpanna (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:03 AM
Some guy

Also, you only need to have your system fully flushed if your compressor failed as a direct result of debris in the lines. If it failed for some other reason that had nothing to do with crap in the lines, a flush won't be necessary (unless it just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside).
Nukpanna (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 AM

The only thing I was thinking is that ford wanted more money to replace everything but if I check the orifice and it has shavings in it then there is debris in the line correct? I haven't been able to find anything that would be used for a flush. I have a shop that I'm checking today to see what they have to say about the fixing process. Thanks for the replies so far. Seems like it wouldn't take me too long doing this.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nukpanna
The only thing I was thinking is that ford wanted more money to replace everything but if I check the orifice and it has shavings in it then there is debris in the line correct? I haven't been able to find anything that would be used for a flush. I have a shop that I'm checking today to see what they have to say about the fixing process. Thanks for the replies so far. Seems like it wouldn't take me too long doing this.
I have heard that people used ethanol to flush the lines. If, I ever have to use ethanol I would make sure it's nice and dry and pump it down longer time before charging refrigerant.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Some guy

Originally Posted by Nukpanna
I wouldn't expect a flush would cost too much (from a real mechanic and not the stealership). That's something I know I wouldn't want to do myself because if I'm going to get everything cleaned out, I want it done right, and I simply don't trust the "flush kits" out there. Maybe they work great and I just don't know, but I wouldn't bet my AC components on them.

What you definitely DON'T want to do is drive around with the lines open. You don't want stuff to collect inside the lines, and if you've already installed the dryer, it'll get ruined by water getting sucked into it by its silica core. So right now, I've put on my new compressor and dryer and and my lines are put back on, but there's no charge in it since I have to remove the valve covers soon. The lines are back on because I don't want my dryer to get ruined before I have the chance to recharge it and actually use it.

Last edited by Martian; 06-02-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing AC components