Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacement Spark Plugs?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Spark Plugs?

Fella's,
I'm new to the forum because I need to change the spark plugs on my '04 supercrew FX4 and I'm not liking what I'm reading so far. Sounds like its going to be a pain, anyways, my question for you guys is what brand are you replacing the sparkplugs with? Is it the motorcraft plugs that suck, or are there better ones I can replace it with so this won't happen down the road. ps, i'm lliking all the good information thus far, thank you.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Brisk and Champion are the two company that make "1 piece" replacement plugs. The Brisks are racing plugs with like 10k lifespans. The Champions have hit or miss reviews.

I personally ordered a new set of Motorcrafts, figure once every 100k isn't that bad even if it is a PITA.

Make sure to read up on TSB 08-7-6: http://grufmanbil.se/webshop/mektips/tsb08-07-06.pdf
Old 06-18-2010, 10:44 PM

I am trying champions one piece plugs because my mechanic recomended them, time will tell if this is a good choice.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 PM
F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwright2
I am trying champions one piece plugs because my mechanic recomended them, time will tell if this is a good choice.
Are the champion plugs still running good in your truck ?
Wanted to know because I'm not sure if I should stay with OEM or go with Champion.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM

Default Champion plugs

The champions are still in my truck and performing well. Happy with fuel mileage and cold weather starting, all around they have my thumbs up.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM

thanks for the update man, let me know how they come out in 100,000 miles...lol
Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM

I'm going through an absolute nightmare right now with these plugs. If you do this on your own, make sure you follow the TSB proceedures word for word.

I ended up bringing my truck into the local Ford dealer b/c I don't have very good luck (in general). They gave me a price of $430 to change out the plugs, plus $110 for each plug that breaks off.

Somehow, it turned into a $2,800 repair bill when one plug broke and just wouldn't come out. They are pulling my cylinder heads to drill out and install a helicoil on one plug. Massive work and really expensive.

Plus the fact that they have had my truck for over 2 weeks now, and still there.

I hate to be a jerk about it, but I am considering filing an insurance claim. Having my insurance company fight the dealers insurance company, as if they damaged my motor while working on it. The TSB report does not mention the possible need to remove the heads, if the procedure goes bad. Therefore, I'm making the assumption that the mechanic didn't follow the proper proceedures, causing damage to my motor.

Not sure, if I go this route or not. Feel a little odd about it, but the dealer isn't really helping me out at all. Hard to justify spending that kind of money on changing spark plugs. They are made to come out, that's why they have threads !!

Also, I've been told that the Champion verison are one piece and therefore better. I think the trick to it is coating the threads with copper anti-seize, as the TSB report mentions...

Good luck man!! It's got to go better than what I'm currently dealing with.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 AM
2004 lifted FX4

@greekboy My heart goes out to you man, I have the same luck with things, all things! I have to change my plugs and am worried about being in the same position. Good luck with your truck
Old 12-10-2010, 12:12 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

im doing it by myself, installing the champions. if any of those plugs goes bad, i can just get a new plug and replace it. it will be the easier thing to do... and for around $15 each.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement Spark Plugs?