Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacement Headlight Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Headlight Options

I have an '07 FX-2, and my headlights have become severely fogged and it makes it very difficult to see at night.

I want to replace the headlights, but i don't even know where to begin. From what i've read on here and other reviews online, it seems that Recon and Spyder seem to be the go to aftermarket brands. Are these good headlights?

Ultimately, I also want the option to retrofit with HID, but that will be later on. So ideally I want some headlights that are able to be retrofitted, but will also function nicely until i am able to do that project. Any recommendations??

Thanks for all the help, Eric
Old 01-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I have Spyder ...all aftermarket Heads need to be sealed up prior to install..I use clear silicone.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:23 AM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

^^ Agreed. No matter what kind you get make sure to seal them with silicon. Most aftermarket headlights will start leaking over time.

Also, I bought a cheap set off of eBay a few years ago. The lenses on them are starting to "crackle" It almost looks like little spider webs.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:07 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,579 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Yep, any aftermarket set needs sealed as pointed out. Mine are about a year old (ebay black housing specials, got them for $68 at the time) and the coating on the lens is peeling off. I used black RTV to seal them and no issues leaking or fogging. I am getting ready to buy another set, this time for $73 and retrofit them with all DDM Tuning stuff for $about 100. DDM has a package you buy that gets free shipping. I am having the lens clear-coated with automotive clear that has UV in it from a body shop.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:36 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by earthur999
I have an '07 FX-2, and my headlights have become severely fogged and it makes it very difficult to see at night.

I want to replace the headlights, but i don't even know where to begin. From what i've read on here and other reviews online, it seems that Recon and Spyder seem to be the go to aftermarket brands. Are these good headlights?

Ultimately, I also want the option to retrofit with HID, but that will be later on. So ideally I want some headlights that are able to be retrofitted, but will also function nicely until i am able to do that project. Any recommendations??

Thanks for all the help, Eric
Howdy thar, Eric!

Wellsir - if'n ye wants Ol' Bubber's experienced advice (been in the lighting and retrofit game a very long time), do NOT waste any money on cheap generic knockoff heads.

Anzo, Recon, Spdyer and all of the rest are horrible quality - poor fitment, leak-prone, crappy short-life UV coatings, cheap internals, etc. All are made in Chinglish monolithic nameless sweatshops by underpaid, malnourished slaves, then rebranded and sold at Huge markups by these various shysters and passed off as 'quality'. Jebus H. W. Chrispy, what a sham! Slick marketing trumps common sense, ah reckon.

Think about it - why buy something that you need to RESEAL out of the box just to make them adequate? ( BTW - you fellers are going about this all wrong - do not use silicon - bake and open the heads, clean out the channels and reseal with quality butyl tape, clamp and rebake is the Right Way. )

If ye can, and they are able to be temporarily saved - try to recondition yer lenses with any of the lens refinishing kits available at parts stores, and save up yer money to buy a high quality HID projector retrofit kit, and OEM fresh donor halogen housings. Look in the classifieds on here - they do pop up. Or fleabay, etc. Another decent alternative is a set of TYC or Visteon heads if you can find them.

Currently - I'd recommend one of these Stage III kits from TRS. D2S basing preferred for bulb seating precision, vast bulb choice (including OEM) and overall superior width, intensity, uniformity and beam precision from the projectors.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...ofit-kits.html

BTW - Do NOT buy anything from DDM - those crooks should all be deported (where's The Donald?). Crap quality (what they sell as 'prime'product, TRS throws away as unacceptable - the truth), shady warranty practices, mismatched, untested components, 110% garbage. There was a huge thread on HIDplanet where Bossman Matt @ TRS and the Head Retard @ DDM got into it. Guess who won, lol?

TRS offers free shipping (with coupon codes and sales on top of that), a bulletproof warranty, excellent CR, terrific quality, and competitive pricing given the quality you receive.

If you were closer, I've got a spare set of pristine OEM heads, already opened, ready to retrofit and paint (if that's yer schtick). I'd give 'em away fer next to nufiin' aight! Yeah - I'm that nice, lol! Misunderstood, often disparaged (by folks who should know better), but still nice.

Bottom line: a properly-executed retrofit with high-quality, top-shelf components, OEM housings, and fastidious attention to detail (proper sealants, outgassing awareness, use of dielectric, etc, etc) should easily last 8+ years without having to do a thing but perhaps a capsule change (they DO wear out & dim over hours used) and regular lens maintenance. (Yes - the lens IS a maintenance item - and marks the difference between faded / yellowed / crazed and like-new appearance). Years of Worrie-free enjoyment of the best lighting available. Do it once - do it right and celebrate yer life. OR, easily crack 'em open for modding or upgrades - entirely YOUR choice (the beauty of butyl, lol).

Eric - ye be needin' any more quality advice, jist hit me up wif a PM, er in this same thread hyur - ah'd be right happy an' honour'd t' hep ye!

Best o' luck thar, Pard!

Cheers!
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 01-16-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

It’s not wrong if it works !!
Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
It’s not wrong if it works !!
Hey Mark!

So profound! Reminds me o' me bro-in law - "it ain't illegal unless ye git caught", lol.

Assumin' ye's tawkin' aboot headlight housin' sealin' ....

As in many things - there are multiple ways to achieve similar results. Usually though, One way stands above the rest as the Optimum way. In this case, butyl provides a bulletproof seal with the added advantage of allowing easy, later access if desired. It's easy to work with and far less messy. This IS the best method. It's also the OEM method-of-choice for many manufacturers.

Silicone be fer bafftubs, lol.

Cheers!
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 01-16-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:22 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 337 Likes on 251 Posts

If it was me.

1. Cheap easy fix, recondition your Oem ones
2. Want to upgrade to hid? Retrofit your Oem ones, recondition lenses
3. Want Oem quality for the next 5+ years without worrying about anything and something that looks good? Oem Harley Davidson headlights

I did option 3, and happy with it.

One reason is that when you start polishing and reconditioning your Oem headlight lenses, you remove th uv coating and you'll have to polish yearly. I did the fix and forget solution. Also I didn't want hid, and, therefore I have no intention of opening my hd headlights, I would never open a good set of Oem ones that are brand new.

Oh yeah, I ordered a set of cheap headlights from eBay, and they sucked and I returned them, that's why I bought Oem. They looked like crap. The black paint they used looked like someone spray painted it, etc. the Oem ones are painted gloss Oem finish....

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 01-16-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MGD
Howdy thar, Eric!

Wellsir - if'n ye wants Ol' Bubber's experienced advice (been in the lighting and retrofit game a very long time), do NOT waste any money on cheap generic knockoff heads.

Anzo, Recon, Spdyer and all of the rest are horrible quality - poor fitment, leak-prone, crappy short-life UV coatings, cheap internals, etc. All are made in Chinglish monolithic nameless sweatshops by underpaid, malnourished slaves, then rebranded and sold at Huge markups by these various shysters and passed off as 'quality'. Jebus H. W. Chrispy, what a sham! Slick marketing trumps common sense, ah reckon.

Think about it - why buy something that you need to RESEAL out of the box just to make them adequate? ( BTW - you fellers are going about this all wrong - do not use silicon - bake and open the heads, clean out the channels and reseal with quality butyl tape, clamp and rebake is the Right Way. )

If ye can, and they are able to be temporarily saved - try to recondition yer lenses with any of the lens refinishing kits available at parts stores, and save up yer money to buy a high quality HID projector retrofit kit, and OEM fresh donor halogen housings. Look in the classifieds on here - they do pop up. Or fleabay, etc. Another decent alternative is a set of TYC or Visteon heads if you can find them.

Currently - I'd recommend one of these Stage III kits from TRS. D2S basing preferred for bulb seating precision, vast bulb choice (including OEM) and overall superior width, intensity, uniformity and beam precision from the projectors.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...ofit-kits.html

BTW - Do NOT buy anything from DDM - those crooks should all be deported (where's The Donald?). Crap quality (what they sell as 'prime'product, TRS throws away as unacceptable - the truth), shady warranty practices, mismatched, untested components, 110% garbage. There was a huge thread on HIDplanet where Bossman Matt @ TRS and the Head Retard @ DDM got into it. Guess who won, lol?

TRS offers free shipping (with coupon codes and sales on top of that), a bulletproof warranty, excellent CR, terrific quality, and competitive pricing given the quality you receive.

If you were closer, I've got a spare set of pristine OEM heads, already opened, ready to retrofit and paint (if that's yer schtick). I'd give 'em away fer next to nufiin' aight! Yeah - I'm that nice, lol! Misunderstood, often disparaged (by folks who should know better), but still nice.

Bottom line: a properly-executed retrofit with high-quality, top-shelf components, OEM housings, and fastidious attention to detail (proper sealants, outgassing awareness, use of dielectric, etc, etc) should easily last 8+ years without having to do a thing but perhaps a capsule change (they DO wear out & dim over hours used) and regular lens maintenance. (Yes - the lens IS a maintenance item - and marks the difference between faded / yellowed / crazed and like-new appearance). Years of Worrie-free enjoyment of the best lighting available. Do it once - do it right and celebrate yer life. OR, easily crack 'em open for modding or upgrades - entirely YOUR choice (the beauty of butyl, lol).

Eric - ye be needin' any more quality advice, jist hit me up wif a PM, er in this same thread hyur - ah'd be right happy an' honour'd t' hep ye!

Best o' luck thar, Pard!

Cheers!
MGD
^^^^ He's right about DDM... I went that route with my old GTI before I knew better. Went through 2 ballasts in less than a year. I did my research after learning my lesson and went with a TRS retrofit for the F-150. The difference is crazy.

Quick Reply: Replacement Headlight Options